Staff Picks: What’s one personal quality you’ve taken the time to improve, and how are you doing so?

Madelyn Rinka, co-editor-in-chief, said:

“In 2019, I want to take more time to listen to myself. I have a tendency to put too much on my plate and get overwhelmed, because I’m so passionate about so many things. However, that also means that I get burned out pretty easily. I want to focus on staying organized, not letting anything slip through the cracks (whether that be my education, work, mental, physical or emotional health) and stepping back when I need to.”

Christina Mclaughlin, co-editor-in-chief, said:

“This year is a big rebuilding year for me and with that, I wanted to come up with some resolutions that could really help me improve. Mainly I’m focusing on time-management and getting into shape. There are a lot of things I need to juggle this semester and time-management is going to be key to make sure I get good grades. I got a really nice planner I take everywhere with me and daily check things off my to-do list to give myself some piece of mind. Getting myself to the gym has always been a struggle for me as I always find an excuse not to work out. But this semester I’ve really buckled down and told myself to at least make an effort to attend a group exercise class or walk around campus at the end of the day.”

Mario Lorrimer, business manager, said:

“I haven’t thought much about a new year resolution or improving a personal quality. However, I do want to continue to be nice to everyone. I think that you need to give everyone a chance, even if you may not like them initially. Building on what i said previously I think I would want to try and stop myself when I think negatively about someone. Everyone reacts to things in their own way and so I want to learn and appreciate everyone’s prefered method.”

Kathleen Crapson, chief of visual design, said:

“Admittedly, my self-reflections and resolutions have been lacking since the start of the new year. I tend to lay out a framework on Jan. 1 of how I want to improve. Whether it’s working on my goals, or myself, I journal my innermost thoughts. In the last few years, the quality of my journaling has dwindled from daily entries to that annual introspection. And then there’s this year. January is already off to an interesting start, yet I haven’t had the motivation to take pen to paper. For some reason, introspection has become harder and harder to face. This year, I want to get into the habit of spending some time alone cultivating introspection, acknowledging my truth, becoming content with what is unchangeable and being courageous enough to push forward into the unknown.”

Kelsey Bruce, arts and entertainment editor, said:

“I’d like to focus on putting myself first this year. I have a tendency to prioritize other people’s needs over my own, which is fine sometimes. But as I’ve come to become more and more familiar with my own worth, I want to be able to say no even when it might disappoint or see reality instead of potential in more lackluster friendships. Overall, I want to become more assertive and more familiar with the fact that I deserve respect.”

Alexandra Herlihy, sports editor, said:

“Something that I want to improve upon for myself this year is to become more fit. Being a part of a school team is seriously helping with that because everyone on the team pushes each other to do more than their best every single day. Every day at practice I show up and push myself to my limit until I can’t go anymore.”