Soundbite: “Ready To Let Go” by Cage The Elephant

Cage The Elephant is an American rock band that can best be described as a mix of indie and alternative with some rock n’ roll. Lead singer Matt Shultz’ voice is known to be of similar style and tone to that of Mick Jagger’s, yet there is so much more to it than that. Cage The Elephant’s music surpasses the mainstream of today’s music. All of their albums have a different feel to them, be it era-wise or genre-wise, making the band  the musical geniuses that they are. In an interview with Emily Maxwell of American Songwriter, the band said that their songs sprout from spontaneity or emotion, and they all work together to make them what they are — something not all bands do.

Since their start in 2009, Cage The Elephant has released albums every other year, and, at the start of 2019, they released the first song off their new upcoming album titled “Social Cues.” The song “Ready To Let Go” was the first song released and, upon hearing it, I loved its beat. I could distinguish that it was, in fact, Cage The Elephant, and it had a great feel to it. While I am not a fan of the music video, the song itself has a good flow and melody. According to Genius, the song “uses a trip to the ancient city of Pompeii as a way to tell the story of the singer’s realization he needed a divorce.”

Cage The Elephant has been one of my top favorite alternative bands since their self-titled debut album in 2009 with “Ain’t No Rest for the Wicked.” Then, in their second album, “Thank You, Happy Birthday,” I loved the song “Shake Me Down” and, in “Melophobia,” I jammed out hard to the songs “Come A Little Closer” and “Cigarette Daydreams.” In 2015, the songs “Mess Around,” “Cold Cold Cold” and “Trouble” from the album “Tell Me I’m Pretty” also made it onto my Spotify.  So, with the release of “Ready To Let Go,” I have high hopes for their upcoming album.