You are your own compass, own your college experience

Sourced: V. Antonucci

With the school year in full bloom, there have been pop up lists from a variety of sources that fall along the lines of “23 Things Every College Student Does” from Buzzfeed or “10 Must-Do’s as a Freshman” from Pinterest. The truth is, all these lists do not need to define your college experience; your college experience should be what you want to make it and you should not feel pressured by peers or by social media to do anything your heart or mind doesn’t want to.

Don’t get me wrong, college is definitely a time to find yourself and try new things. It’s a time to discover what you like, like to do and want to be. But, it’s important to note that these ideas and values should be your own. In high school, it’s fairly easy to fall into the crowd. College, however, is the time to start fresh and figure yourself out.

Steve Jobs once said, “Don’t let the noise of other people’s opinions drown out your inner voice.” This doesn’t just apply to college, but to life in general. Let college and everything that happens throughout those years shape you into the person you were meant to be and help you become the best you can be. Remember to also keep working on yourself after graduation as you begin a new chapter of your life.

No matter what, mistakes are inevitable, whether they’re mistakes you make throughout your college experience or just in everyday life. It’s important, however, not to take your mistakes too harshly out on yourself. Instead, learn from them. It’s often times not about the mistakes themselves, but how you handle them and go about them that really make all the difference.

As a junior, I definitely feel college has been flying by. I find myself trying my best to explore and learn all I can before graduation comes crashing down on me. With that said, I am especially trying my best to let my inner voice shine and always be true to myself. Trust me, there is no other feeling as strong as knowing that you are standing your own ground and standing up for your beliefs

Regardless of where you are in your college career, remember that you are your own compass and you can do all you strive for. Listen to your heart, let it be your guide and surround yourself with people who motivate and inspire you to make the best out of everything. Life is what we make it and I know we got this.