To study or to copy?

We all make a promise at the beginning of every single class to be academically honest by signing up for the course. As we come to find out throughout our experience in school, not many of us follow this policy. I am only in my second semester as a college student, but I’ve learned this quickly. I have always taken pride in my work; being proud of what I do is a value I hold near and dear to myself. 

For these purposes, whenever I get people asking me for my homework, whether that be in a picture format or simply copying my work, I say no. I don’t understand why it has become normalized to, ultimately, skip over doing what you’re supposed to be doing and copy others work. I have had people I don’t even know ask me for pictures of my notes, to send them pictures of answers on problems and even do the work for them. For me, I find it not only disrespectful to me, but anti-beneficial for them. 

We’ve all heard the phrase, “cheaters never win.” This might solve a temporary problem, but in the long run, you don’t absorb the material and comes back to bite you. It’s my humble opinion that once you cheat once, it becomes a lot easier to cheat again. Just do your stuff. You’re paying a whole lot of money for your education, so take advantage of it. 

Photo: A. Spratt