Quarantine story: A birthday celebration right before quarantine

JoMari Chao is a sophomore legal and international studies double major at NSU. She is also DJ Flackie on NSU’s RadioX.

When I first thought to write my quarantine story, I didn’t know where to begin. I decided to start with the last time I got to be on campus with my friends at the radio station.

As a RadioX staff member and a commuter, I’ve made that place my home on campus. It’s my favorite place to kill time, hang out, have laughs, and of course, make money between classes. That’s precisely where I was when I got the notice classes had been suspended.

For the most part, all my coworkers were elated. For them, it meant getting away from upcoming exams and enjoying Animal Crossing from the comforts of their own homes the day it came out. However, I was my usually worried and stressed self, thinking about what all of this would mean for the office, my classes and so on.

On that last Friday, some of my coworkers and friends decided to celebrate my birthday before we all went our separate ways. We hung out and finished our adventures in the RadioX office, where my favorite moment of the night happened.

DJ Frank started playing “Tu Sonrisa” by Elvis Crespo outside the office and my cousin, Maria Rativa from SUTV and I got up and started dancing. Once the song ended, we closed up the office, gave each other casual hugs and went our separate ways.

The hangout to celebrate my birthday was a last minute plan, but what stuck with me afterwards was when my cousin asked, “So, when are you guys going to say your official goodbyes?” I responded casually, “That was it.” Surprised, she questioned my response.

The first few weeks into quarantine, we had a few Zoom calls, played a few games and watched some movies together. Then, as classes came around, stuff got hard. I personally began stressing, juggling the concept of online classes and in-house distractions

Now that we are finally done with the semester, I can enjoy the company of my little brother at home and play games with him without being heavily glued to my phone.

Other than classes and stress, quarantine has been pretty relaxing. Yet, what sticks with me through all of this was the unknowing knowledge my coworkers and I had of quarantine, self isolation and social distancing when we last saw each other. We took our last outing together as a see you later moment rather than a goodbye.

There is power in positive thinking for a better, safe and productive tomorrow. With that, I look forward to seeing all my fellow Sharks for Fall 2020. In the meantime, I hope everyone stays safe and healthy. See you all very soon.

Photo: J. Chao