NSU RecWell: A mind-body cultivation

In my first year here at NSU, the odds were if I was not eating, sleeping, in class or working, I was at the RecPlex. The RecPlex has quickly become my favorite spot on campus, whether it be for the pool, rock climbing wall, basketball courts (my absolute favorite) or the gym to hit the weights. As a college student, we experience a lot of stress, both mentally and physically. NSU’s RecWell program has something for everyone to decompress, work on themselves and have fun. 

I’ve always been a hooper; basketball has been my go-to sport for as long as I can remember. The RecPlex has both indoor and outdoor basketball hoops, as well as the Rick Case arena for our men’s and women’s basketball and volleyball teams. There is a beautiful leisure pool right outside of the locker rooms where you can catch some sun and take some time for yourself. College is time to explore different activities and get out of your comfort zone a bit; RecWell offers group classes to do just that. Intramural and club sports are also offered, including basketball, softball, volleyball, flag football and even bowling. If you were to tell me a year ago that I would be doing yoga every Tuesday and Thursday, I would’ve thought you were crazy, but it’s one of the many activities I’ve taken up sponsored by the RecPlex. 

Group classes are offered by the RecWell program for those who are new to fitness or simply like working in a group for extra motivation. Whether you’re interested in strength training, cardiovascular work, stretching or even meditation to relax your mind, you can easily find something that will catch your interest. There are 16 group classes offered right now that work with your schedule; if you want to do a spinning class at 6:15 a.m. because that’s the only time that works for you, then you can. Even on the weekends, classes like Yoga Flow, Circuit Blast and HIIT hour are offered. The weekend is when many college students have large amounts of homework and can’t find time to workout, but these classes are short and sweet, giving students the opportunity to workout in the morning before going about their busy day. 

Finally, you are able to get certified training in both scuba diving and rescue, which I found to be one of the coolest aspects of the program. For any medical students, having a dive and rescue certification can be a huge plus to your resume. The best part of all RecWell activities? They’re all free for NSU students!