Are fall foods worth the hype?

Love me some fall food

Chloe Rousseau

I love a nice, warm pumpkin spice latte like everyone else and their mother, especially when the weather cools off. However, this is not what I think of when I think of fall foods. To me, fall foods are your typical Thanksgiving spread: apple and pumpkin pie, turkey, ham and don’t forget the yams (yes, the kind with marshmallows). 

Something about fall food is just so comforting, especially when away from home at school. Thanksgiving is a huge holiday for my family — we all love food. Our spread takes up the whole kitchen and we start cooking the night before and prep all day. When I’m really missing home, I make my mom’s mashed potato recipe and my grandma’s rolls, and sometimes, even a small turkey roast. 

The foods we have in the fall are warm comfort foods that make me just want to stuff my face. It’s something I always look forward to — not to mention the fantastic breakfast made with leftovers the next morning. In addition, pumpkin spice everything is nice, too. I love pumpkin cheesecake and spiced muffins. 

Fall foods are definitely worth falling for to me and my family. I can’t imagine not having a big Thanksgiving with my whole family and doing it all with my friends the week before, too. 

I’ll pass on the fall food

Nyla Whyte

The chill settling in the air is the first hint that the holiday season is fast approaching and people are diving headfirst into fall festivities. This means pumpkin patches, decorations, and most importantly, seasonal foods. 

Soon enough, you’ll start seeing the annual influx of posts on social media highlighting everybody’s favorite seasonal treats. This has me wondering, though. Are these foods actually good or are they just trendy?

There are many staple foods that we have come to expect when fall arrives each year, some of which just don’t live up to the hype associated with them. I can’t imagine someone choosing to suffer through the sugary, headache-inducing goop that is a pumpkin spice latte for any reason other than a cute photo op. 

Hot chocolate is another questionable favorite for me. It’s chalky and relies too much on enhancements like marshmallows and cinnamon to be satisfying. The mediocrity doesn’t stop at fall drinks though. Turkey is arguably the worst thing on any Thanksgiving dinner plate, and if people weren’t so attached to tradition, it would’ve been scrapped years ago. 

Normally, I would leave people be. Let everyone be happy with their festive (yet basic) snacks and be on my merry way. However, one fall food that I cannot reconcile with under any circumstances is candy corn. Candy corn is pasty, flavorless, and somehow, always stale. Whoever created candy corn either didn’t know what they were unleashing onto the world or they had it out for candy lovers.