Incline walking take two: Discovering what works best for you

It is almost a month into 2021 and I have been successful in sticking to my workout routines. Notice how I said routines — plural. I was not able to stick to the first incline walking routine I wrote for Finding Fitness a few issues back, but with that being said, exercising is all about finding exactly what works for you. We should always be updating our regimens to better ourselves, and, of course, I have included songs that help me push through the 30-minute walk.

A case study done by California State University, reported that participants who had gotten in more steps by the end of the day were in better moods.

According to the study, walking more each day is related to a wide variety of mood and personality variables. The more people walk each day, the more energetic they feel and the better their mood.  Although intuitively it would seem that walking more reduces energy, the opposite is true. More walking is associated with more energy. In addition to more energy and better mood, self-esteem and happiness increase when people walk more.

To make myself happy, I have discovered a routine that mimics the activity of climbing a hill and it has become more enjoyable than walking at a 12% incline for 30 straight minutes. My hand-me-down treadmill has recently become one of my most prized possessions. Learning new ways to effectively workout has been made easier with this hunk of machinery. When the treadmill’s high voltage isn’t tripping up my power grid (thank you surge protector), I get to work.

First, I allow myself time to stretch before stepping onto the belt. Then, I walk at a speed of three miles per hour with the incline set to zero. After I feel warmed up — this usually takes three to five minutes — I continue walking, increasing the incline by one percent after each minute. By the fifteenth minute, I have reached 12% incline and I am at “the peak”of the hill.  

Dripping in sweat, it is now time to bring the incline down one minute at a time until it has dropped back down to zero. By the final thirtieth minute, I really feel the walk targeting my legs and core.

The slow build to a steady finish allows my body to get an effective workout in without overdoing it. Already yielding results, I plan to keep up with this simulated hike routine. I hope you also find what works best for you during these times of continued chaos.