Gill Out: Tap 42 in Aventura

NSU is a unique and lively campus, but that doesn’t mean that Sharks can’t band together and take an afternoon to explore the South Florida area — even if that just means finding a quaint place to study.

I have always been one to enjoy reading Gill Out articles from The Current. I search through every issue to find which photos look the most appetizing to try out for myself. This week, I thought, “Why not add a personal review for all of the foodies out there?”

This week, I went to a tasty restaurant located in Aventura. Although this isn’t very close to campus, there are other Tap 42 locations in Fort Lauderdale, Miami and soon, there will be a  location opening in Davie Tower Shops.

One of my family members works at Tap 42, so I thought, “Why not give this restaurant a try?”

This restaurant was quite crowded for a Thursday night when I went. There were several families, but mostly adults. I was given a 30-minute wait-time estimate and my phone number was taken down to receive a text when my table was ready.

After about 15 minutes, I received a text saying that my table was ready. Before getting to my table, I was asked to scan a barcode for the menu since Tap 42 removed their physical ones due to COVID-19. 

I followed the host to a table outside that was socially distanced. One thing I can say about Tap 42 is that the tables have significant space between them and the booths are very personal. I didn’t feel uncomfortable dining out like I usually would. Instead, I enjoyed my time out and especially loved my waiter, Chris.

Chris was very attentive and funny. He made my first time at Tap 42 feel as though I’d been there several times before. He made jokes and was completely aware of the COVID-19 guidelines. Not once did he make me feel uneasy.

When it was time to order, I did not know what to choose, judging from all of the delicious options. I asked Chris how both the calamari and chicken and waffles were, and he mentioned that those dishes are staples for many customers. I quickly placed my order and could not wait to dig in.

I got both my appetizer and main course quickly. All the food was hot, which I really appreciated since the restaurant was still crowded. Throughout our visit, Chris was fully engaged with us.

I left with Chris saying a confident, “I’ll see you next time”  — as I will definitely return. I give Tap 42 in Aventura five out of five stars and I can’t wait to try out the new location when it arrives in Davie.

Tap 42 Craft Kitchen & Bar – Aventura

19565 Biscayne Blvd, Aventura, FL 33180

$$