That Time I… experienced tragedy at Pride

Over the summer, I finally received my queer rite of passage attending my first Pride parade; I would have never imagined that it would involve death. 

The Wilton Manors Stonewall Pride Parade is an annual celebration that takes place right in the heart of Wilton Manors. The celebration includes drag shows, live DJ’s and the famous parade. The event is meant to honor the Stonewall riots of the ‘70s which were largely accredited with beginning the gay rights movement. 

The search for a parking spot was difficult but quick. I had arrived just as the parade was scheduled to start and I nearly sprinted out of my car. I walked from my cozy spot to the front of Ft. Lauderdale High School where the parade floats were lined up, awaiting the signal to start the festivities. The party had already begun on the floats. While music blared from speakers I could not see, men in thongs and fairy wings danced with people in promotional t-shirts amid an armada of rainbow flags. It was a warm welcome to what the rest of the night was going to be like. 

Once I had reached the spot where the parade was meant to start, I sat down with the rest of my friends. Sitting on the curb, I could see the parade and their floats across the rainbow bridge that Wilton Manors is known for, but they were not moving. The others that I was with began to question why the parade was taking so long to start. We sat and wondered for a while but began to chat, having no idea what had just happened only a couple of blocks away. 

A frazzled looking attendee approached us and warned us that there had been a “terrorist attack” and that one person was dead. He kept moving down the street warning other groups of people. Everyone in our group started to discuss an escape strategy and what to do if the assailant were to come our way – which was just a minute down the street. 

I searched the incident on Twitter and found that not only had we jumped to conclusions about what happened but so did the mayor of Wilton Manors and everyone else. It was not until a few minutes later that the record was corrected. It was revealed to be a tragic accident. I did find irony in the fact that I was staring down at my phone, reading about something that happened practically right in front of me.  

A drag queen clutched a mic in their hands and announced to the crowd – who were already partying – that a man had died, and the parade was cancelled but that the attendees could make their own parade. Just like that the whole crowd, us included, marched down Wilton dr., waving pride flags and dancing.  

Although I am happy to have gone to Pride, I will always remember the accident that occurred that day. 

It was a great way to end the night and turn tragedy into a celebration of life, but there was still an uneasy tone among some attendees.