More than meets the eye: The maintenance guy

Behind every face, there’s a story. That was no exception for Harold Duen. NSU’s very own maintenance man, who is stationed in The Commons and completes work orders and fixes furniture. Duen’s career at NSU began in 2013, and ever since then, the opportunity he was given completely changed his life, the students, and staff at NSU. 

“They are a great inspiration to me as I am to them, I come every day to create a positive vibe and positive environment and they make my job a lot easier,” Duen said. 

The connection Duen has to campus is like no other staff member. His love and commitment to NSU shines through his bubbly personality along with his hard work ethic. His career path has changed drastically from being a part of the security staff to now being a level two technician. Duen leaped for the opportunity and ever since then, he has become even more of a staple of positivity and resilience on campus. 

Duen shared insights that he has learned over the years from his struggles. 

“The hardest thing I went through was I was a depressed person in my teens, because of my parents’ divorce, and I almost committed suicide. I went through that, I surpassed that and lived through that and I wish that on no one,” said Duen 

Duen’s story shows his perseverance and how, no matter what, he never gave up on himself. He kept fighting to continue to live, which shows that even though you may be going through something, there is light at the end of the tunnel. 

“There is always a light at the end of the tunnel, you just have to look at it and change your environment. Be yourself and do not worry about anyone, be you and do not let anyone change who you are,” said Duen. 

As individuals, we have ourselves to rely on in the end, and what’s most important is that there is hope and a sense of purpose for everyone even if it’s difficult to recognize. It’s there and Duen’s story certainly sheds light on what may seem like a never-ending battle of self-worth. 

“The book ‘The Secret’ inspired me to be a better person in my life. It changed my mind into positivity that I could never think of to do. I always think that if I bring positivity, I affect other people and I can impact them, and through my impacts, I actually saved three different people from suicide. Just by being positive and being in the right place at the right time,” said Duen. 

This shows Duen’s ability to be a helpful and inspiring individual who, no matter what, just wants to be there for people at the end of the day. 

“Harold is very outgoing and bright, he always greets me very cheerfully and is very open,” said sophomore biology major Isabelle Boren. 

Boren is a student worker at the front desk of The Commons and has known Harold for a year, witnessing first-hand the numerous work orders he does, and told me about their meaningful conversations. 

Duen said, “NSU is a great college, everybody try your best to succeed, everything is possible, nothing is impossible. All your challenges can come true, all your hopes can come true, just do one thing at a time.”