News Anchor, Nov. 7, 2017

0
325

UN releases report saying 741 citizens executed in Mosul

The UN  Assistance Mission for Iraq and the Office of the UN High Commissioner for Human Rights released a report on Thursday describing the civilian casualties during the nine-month battle over the Iraqi city of Mosul between the Islamic State and Iraqi forces. The report revealed that at least 741 civilians died in execution-style killings led by the IS forces. At least 461 civilians died in Iraqi and US-led coalition airstrikes. The BBC reported that the UN is calling for justice against the death of civilians related to war crimes.  

Gothamist and DNAinfo suddenly shut down

The popular New York City news websites, along with their Chicago and LA constituents, DNAinfo and The Gothamist were shut down on Thursday by billionaire CEO and founder Joe Ricketts. Although Ricketts said that the closure came because of business reasons, ABC News reported that the closure came a week after New York staff members voted to unionize. Ricketts has publically expressed his disapproval of unions in the past.

North Korea accuses U.S. of preparing for nuclear strike

A flyover of US B-1 bombers and fighter jets from South Korea and Japan sparked harsh criticism from North Korea, according to CNN. The nation’s leaders and news stations said that the flyover was preparation for a nuclear strike. This comes before President Trump plans to travel to Asia next week.  

Syrian army reclaims Deir al-Zour

The Syrian government has reclaimed the border province of Deir al-Zour, which has been under Islamic State control since 2014, according to the BBC. This comes at the same time Iraqi military is making gains against IS. Though IS has lost a considerable amount of ground, there’s still worry across the world regarding the state of Syrian government and US-backed units who hold land in northern Syria. As the BBC said, “while the war against the IS ‘caliphate’ is well on the way to being won, the situation on the ground in Syria is becoming ever more complex.” Meanwhile 350,000 civilians have been forced to flee the Deir al-Zour area because of fighting.

Cuba denies accusations of attacks on US diplomats

Cuban Foreign Minister Bruno Rodríguez Parrilla denied that there were any attacks on US personnel at the Cuban Embassy, according to ABC News. This comes weeks after 24 Americans were impacted by mysterious attacks that caused dizziness, cognitive issues and mild traumatic brain injuries. Since then, the U.S. has shrunk its personnel at the embassy by 60 percent and advised Americans not to travel to the island.

Catalonia protests continue after ministers are jailed

Thousands of Catalans protested Thursday after the arrest and detention of Catalan ministers by Spain’s government. According to the BBC, these ministers are being accused of rebellion, sedition and misuse of public funds. Tensions are rising in the country since the region voted to become independent from Spain and the government issued a referendum calling it illegal on Oct. 1.

NO COMMENTS