When Are We Going To Say “Enough Is Enough” To Child Predators?

In September, Facebook finally shut down the biggest pedophile advocacy group in the world. It was called the North American Man Boy Love Association, which allowed pedophiles around the globe to communicate with each other. Topics ranged from sharing ways on how to hone their predatory skills in hunting children, to tips in which to identify potential victims, and exchanging child pornography.

Last month, Amazon.com removed a book entitled “The Pedophile’s Guide to Love and Pleasure” from its site. The horrific how-to guide teaches predators how to target and seduce children.

To top if off, Amazon defended itself by claiming that they believe that it’s censorship not to sell certain books simply because they don’t believe in the same ideas. Really? Not wanting to read George W. Bush’s memoir isn’t the same thing as advertising a guide on how to victimize children.

I’m not sure what bothers me more. The fact that this book was on a public Web site, that it was so easily accessible, or that someone searched for it. Supply and demand, guys. Amazon wouldn’t have kept it on there for the time it did if it hadn’t sold so many copies. The book was one of Amazon’s top selling e-books on the Kindle list — perfect for that pedophile on the go.

There’re other sites that promote illicit love between an adult and a child. That, in the future, society will see pedophilia not as a crime, but as a sexual choice, like homosexuality. Other sites use reverse imaging, which is utilized to find out what missing children look like as adults. But these predators use it to reduce an adult’s image back to a child’s. And these sites are allowed to exist under the First Amendment.

Somehow, I don’t think this is what our forefathers had in mind when they included free speech in the first amendment.

I understand the need for free speech. If it wasn’t for that right, I wouldn’t be able to write a lot of the articles I’ve written. But we have to draw a line in the sand. We have to say that “enough is enough.”  Saying we’re pro-choice, anti-Sarah Palin or anti-Obama is one thing. Sharing the details of what you want to do to a child in bed, detailing ways of hunting them down, or exchanging inappropriate pictures of children are entirely different issues.

Learning about all the different types of pedophiles in my psychology classes turns my stomach. A common misconception is that pedophiles are homosexuals. However, contrary to this popular belief, most pedophiles are heterosexual males, often married, and have children of their own. They may be your son’s boy scout leader or your daughter’s soccer coach. Are you a little paranoid now? Good. There are many predators out there but, just like terrorists, you need to look in the right place.

These people make me sick. These predators make me angry. But, most of all, they make me ashamed to be in a world that still allows this to happen.

Kids are the most innocent members of our society. They’re helpless against predators. We owe it to them to do everything we can to stop pedophilia.  If that means violating sexual predators’ civil rights, I really don’t care.

We need to step up. In this modern age of such advanced technology and progressive knowledge of the criminal mind, this shouldn’t be happening. I know there are shades of gray in these issues but, hey, if you bought that Amazon book, you’re guilty. There’s no other plausible explanation of why you’d buy a book for seducing children.

You victimize a child; you forfeit your right to certain civil liberties. Hell, you forfeit your right to be considered a human being. Automatic prison sentence. No parole. You have child pornography on your computer? You’re never getting out of jail. If pedophiles get turned on by children, that’s never going away, no matter how much therapy they get.

You want to argue that point with me? Take one look at the pictures that they pass around to each other. Look into the eyes of the young victim who will never be the
same again.

What if it was your child? Your sister or brother? I didn’t think so.