Check Plz: “Text My Food” is a too much

“Excuse me, waiter, waiter, waiter.” Just about all of us have been in this situation before — struggling to grab the waiter’s attention. There’s a new service called “Text My Food,” which allows customers to text their waiter whenever they need something. For example, no longer will your waiter stop by your table several times to ask you if you’re ready to order. Instead, you would just text your order when you’re ready. This sounds very convenient. However, just like anything else, there are pros and cons to this innovative service.

Let’s begin by examining the pros of “Text My Food.” By having the ability to text your waiter at your convenience, you can save a great amount of time spent in the restaurant. This is extremely useful for those in a hurry. As soon as you finish your meal, simply text “check please,” as opposed to twiddling your fingers and hoping your waiter passes by. In addition, “Text My Food” makes it much easier to get what you need when you need it. Need a refill on your drink? Just text it, and you should receive your refill shortly.

Now, I don’t know about you, but there’s just something about getting to know your waiter or waitress and having conversations with them. When you have a friendly waiter, it makes your experience at the restaurant much more enjoyable. We’ve all had that waitress who’s been in the business for 20 plus years, loves to talk about her family, and treats us as if we were a part of it. We always leave her a little extra on the tip because she’s been doing such a great job for so long. With the implementation of “Text My Food” we probably wouldn’t have taken the time to get to know her.

I’m afraid “Text My Food” might inhibit some of the human interaction between customer and server. If you text the waiter whenever you need something, there really isn’t a reason for them to stick around and chat, is there?

Plus, if you are in so much of a hurry that you can’t sit down and patiently wait for your food, try the drive-thru at Burger King.

I’ll give credit to “Text My Food” for its innovation. It does have its benefits. But, at the end of the day, when I go to a restaurant, I’m not just paying for the food. I’m paying for the
entire experience.