Athlete of the week : Ian Facey

Not everyone can say that they’ve won the Guy Harvey Invitational Golf Tournament. But, Ian Facey can.

On Oct. 9, Facey, business finance major, won his first-ever individual collegiate title, helping NSU win first place. A sophomore on the defending national champion team, Facey shot three consecutive rounds under-par to finish at nine-under for the tournament. In the field of 74 golfers, his three-round score of 207 was the best by three strokes.

Last fall, Facey tied for ninth at the NSU Shark Invitational, a tournament that the Sharks placed second in as a team. He also finished 60th and 32nd at the Otter Invitational and the Marjorie Whitney Tournament respectively, helping the team to place first overall.

In spring 2012, he helped his team receive the GCAA All-Academic Team recognition award. Facey also placed 58th at the UNO Mardi Gras Invitational and tied for 65th place at the Bobcat Intercollegiate Tournament.

He learned to play golf at the age of five by watching his father play on the putting green in their backyard. As a senior in high school, he was a First Team All-American and First Team All-Dade County member.

Even though Facey was born and raised in South Florida, he is proud of his Jamaican background. He said that Jamaica holds a special place in his heart, and it is where he spends most of his summer vacationing.

I sat down and talked to Ian.
How did you get into golf?
My dad is a big golf guy, so when I was little I would watch him practice his swing in the backyard.

When did you realize you wanted to play golf in college?
When I was in high school, I was also on our school’s golf team and got scouted by several colleges in the area.

What’s your favorite course to play on?
The Cinnamon Hill Golf Course at Rose Hall in Jamaica. It’s right on the ocean and it’s always so beautiful when I play.

What is your favorite gold club?
The putter. I play better when I use it.

Have you ever made a hole-in-one?
I almost have. The golf ball went in and then came back out.

What are your hopes for this season?
I really think we can win a championship again. We mostly have the same team as last year, so I think it’s possible.