Athlete of the week: Meixandra Porter

NSU senior Meixandra Porter began playing the game of basketball at a very young age. She began to play when she was 5 years old with her twin brother and began to play competitively when she was only 6 years old.

Porter played at Freedom High School in Virginia, where she helped lead her team to a state championship her senior year. At the end of the season, she was selected as the Virginia AA State Player of the Year. After high school, she went to play for the Colorado State University Rams. During her two seasons with the Rams, Porter played in 27 games, where she averaged 7.7 points, two rebounds and 19.9 minutes per game.

After two seasons, Porter decided to transfer to NSU. During her first year with the Sharks, she averaged 14.8 points, 3.5 rebounds, three assists, and 1.6 steals per game, all of which were team highs. She also led the team in three-point shooting percentage with 43 percent. At the end of the season, she was named to the Daktronics, Inc. All-South Region Second Team and was also selected to the All-Sunshine State Conference First Team.

Entering her senior year, Porter is expected to be a huge contributor to the team’s efforts. She was named to the NCAA Women’s Division-II Bulletin Super-16, which is a preseason ranking of the best players in the nation. Porter is joined by Alabama-Huntsville’s Jasmine Hammon to represent the South Region.

NSU women’s Head Coach, LeAnn Freeland, said, “Meix is intelligent, athletic and driven.”

I sat down with Porter and asked her a few questions:

When did you decide you wanted to play college basketball?
I decided when I was in the sixth grade. I really wanted to play for Pat Summit.

What is your best accomplishment in your career?
My senior year in high school, I was named district player of the year and first team, regional player of the year and first team, state player of the year and first team.

What are your personal goals for the season?
I want to win the National Championship and to be an All-American. And I would like to be Player of the Year.

Why did you decide to transfer to NSU?
My coach and I didn’t have the best relationship; we were two different types of people. That situation was not conducive for me to grow as a person or as a player.

If you could have one superpower, what would it be?
I would fly because I could go anywhere I want to, and make it much easier to dunk.

Who is your favorite athlete?
Michael Jordan, even though that’s so cliché. I like his drive, anything he put his mind to he did. He won championships in basketball and then left to go play baseball and was good at it.