Athlete of the week: Dilja Olafsdottir

Leaving her country of Iceland behind, Dilja Olafsdottir, senior international studies major, came to NSU in 2010 to pursue her passion for soccer. Olafsdottir has been preparing for her last year at NSU and feels that the season is off to a strong start.

“The connection throughout the team is very good,” she said. “We all get along really well.”

So far this season, Olafsdottir has earned an individual score

of 12-5 and has played a total of

425 minutes.

As a freshman in 2010, she started in 15 games and played a team-high total of 1,276 minutes. Olafsdottir didn’t fall behind in her sophomore year when she was an anchor for the back line. She played in all 16 matches, socred three goals, two of which won the game, and finished the season with six points.

During her junior year, she was named to the All-Sunshine State Conference Second Team and tied for most goals on the team. She also beat her personal record of minutes played, with 1,284 minutes in the season.

Olafsdottir has also made the All-SSC Second Team, the Sunshine State All-Tournament Team and the All-South Region Team.

“I am very passionate about my performance anytime I am on the field,” she said. “I put my entire heart and soul into soccer.”

Olafsdottir feels that her motivation is all about the Sharks.

“My teammates and coaches are the ones I constantly try to do my best for,” she said. “Just the feeling of going out onto the field knowing that I am trying my best for the others around me is the greatest feeling.”

I sat down with Olafsdottir and asked her some questions.

What’s your favorite thing about soccer?

My favorite thing about soccer is that, when I am playing, I am able to get rid of all the outside worries, such as stress. I am finally able to have fun.

How did you first become interested in the sport?

My dad played soccer when I was a child. So, I’ve been on the field ever since I was about 4 years old.

How do you handle yourself when you disagree with a referee?

I always argue with referees, but my coach is quick to make me keep my mouth shut.

What do you do while you’re training that contributes to your success?

I work hard in every single training session. I train as if I am playing. I constantly focus on trying to become better.

Are there any foods you must eat for soccer that you don’t like?

I eat anything and everything; there is no strict diet we must follow for soccer.

What have you learned about your team?

It is very important to think of the team as a family. That is what we have been trying to portray this year. We want to be in the mindset of protecting each other, both on and off the field.

What is one word that describes you? 

Stubborn.

Are you a night owl or early bird?

Night owl.

If you could live anywhere in the world, where would it be? Why?

Southern Europe, maybe Italy, because of the culture and weather.

What do you miss most about Iceland?

I miss Iceland because everything there is pure and clean. The nature there is the most beautiful in the world and both the water and air are crystal clear. I also miss my family very much.