Diary of … a sports wizard

Trent Strafaci is a junior majoring in communication studies with a minor in sports management. Trent hails from Davie, Florida and graduated from American Heritage School in Plantation. He enjoys playing golf, fishing, and working out. His personal philosophy is “Know who you are and be proud of yourself.”

I have determined that I have a genetic problem: sports is literally in my genes. My shocking discovery came last year when I determined I could not possibly be happy in a career that did not involve sports.

My family tree has golf balls hanging from it with an occasional football and baseball thrown in. My two grandfathers were great athletes in football, baseball and golf, with one being a nationally known amateur golfer from Brooklyn, New York. My second cousin, Rip Repulski, played major league baseball for nine years, and my younger brother could be the next Jordan Spieth. The biggest genetic influence has come from my mom and dad. My mom played golf at the University of Florida for four years and was the CFO of the Miami Dolphins for my entire childhood. My dad, the grand wizard of sports, has played competitive golf for most of his life. He is addicted to all sports like I am and I inherited that gene.

I am truly a victim of a genetic problem, but it has given me a pretty clear idea of where I want to go. I remember one afternoon when I was 4-years-old, sitting at my mom’s desk at the Dolphins training facility when I had the opportunity to meet Dan Marino, and I knew from that moment on, I would be addicted to sports. I spent most of my elementary school years doing homework in my mom’s office and hanging around the Dolphins training camp.

Sports runs deep in my veins. I have participated in them since I can remember, playing football when I was young and golf since I could pick up a club. Watching and reading about sports on a daily basis is a must.

Sports isn’t just where I want to go; it’s also where I have been. I have been lucky enough to go to six Super Bowls, two World Series, two NBA championships, two Masters, two BCS championship games and one Stanley Cup. I’m sure my destiny will someday lead to a World Cup or perhaps the Olympics. I have also worked as a roving spotter for NBC Sports and Sports Illustrated for two PGA tour events.

I am not sure where I will end up, but my destiny is in sports — maybe in an office, on a golf course, in a stadium or just on my favorite couch in my favorite room sitting with my favorite people who share the same passion for sports like I do.

I can’t deny it. I have a genetic problem. Hey, you can’t fight what’s in your genes.