RACKS presents an ocean of taste with a side of mingling

To the college students lacking money and wanting food, I present to you, RACKS Fish House + Oyster Bar, located in Delray Beach – pushing the envelope of culinary creativity, resulting in a unique menu, an enjoyable atmosphere and exquisite experiences.

RACKS catches and releases an ocean-to-table menu that excites and inspires, offering an array of delectable food for under $10 during its happy hour every day of the week, from 3:30 to 6:30 p.m.

I’m unsure if it was the hand-painted brick walls, the vivid raw bar or the lush seating paired with nautically-inspired tables – but I was in a party mood. The $1 clams and oysters were a lesson in how to mingle, the parmesan truffle fries showed how to be the life of the party, and the shells and cheese demonstrated when it was time to go home, because it wasn’t the most pleasant meal.

The raw clams and oysters were pleasant, nothing overbearing – not too salty. The clams were light, almost fluffy and very tender. They didn’t have that “fishy” taste most people dread. There was something sublime about the feel of the oysters on my tongue and that burst of flavor and sweetness I got when I began to chew. It was a pleasant bite, and it was nice to meet it, but it was no French fry.

And how could it be? The parmesan truffle fries were exciting and bold. From outside in, the fries had a warm and crunchy coating with sprinkles of shredded parmesan cheese. The smooth potato inside exploded through. The walloping taste hit my palate with a lasting, rich garlic flavor.

And that’s sort of what happened with the shells and cheese. This type of dish is my weakness, my downfall, my absolute comfort food, which ultimately set my expectations high. My mouth instantly began to water when I saw “shells and cheese with goldfish crumbs” listed on the menu. I ordered, and as I sat patiently, I dreamed of the rich and creamy cheese sauce. But when the bowl finally approached the table, I was disappointed by the sight of it. It looked like one big cloud of cheese; I could barely see the shells or even the goldfish crumbs.

As I dipped my fork in and lifted it to my salivating lips, there was a great depth of flavor, thanks to the two kinds of cheese. It was average, but nothing more. It seemed that the cheese and goldfish crumbs did not mingle well.

The happy hour menu is filled with many more options: fish tacos, tuna tar tar, Creole styled calamari, crab cakes and the list goes on. Keep in mind, all of this is under $10.

Creative in design, concept and menu, RACKS incorporates beloved classics with the modern style and appetite of South Florida. The food arrived quickly, the waiter was friendly, and the restaurant was clean and bright. RACKS is not afraid to be bold and being bold makes for a good party.

RACKS is located at 5 Southeast Second Avenue in Delray Beach. RACKS also has a location in Mizner Park in Boca Raton in 402 Plaza Real, but with a different happy hour menu and times.

Photo Credits: A. DiMaria