Athlete of the Week: Krista Colburn

It takes real passion to play the sport of failure, softball. Krista Colburn, senior marine biology major, was able to get over the failure part of the game at a very young age and enjoy it as it is.

“I started playing when I was 6; my family is a big sports family,” said Colburn. “I played all kinds of sports, like basketball, track and soccer, but softball has always been my favorite.”

It was during her freshman year of high school at Skyline High School in Colorado that Colburn decided that she wanted to play softball at the collegiate level. She worked twice as hard to make the Triple Crown Stars softball club team in Colorado.

Colburn had a dream to study marine biology in South Florida, and, when she met head coach Boneé at a summer camp and was recruited, she knew this was the golden opportunity for her.

I got the chance to sit down with Colburn and ask her a few questions to get to know her better.

What’s the main thing that attracted you to softball?

“I love every aspect of the game: hitting, catching and throwing. I love working out with my teammates. It’s also a really fun and high-energy sport. I just like that there are so many aspects to the sport and so much that can happen in just one game.”

Does anyone is your family play sports?

“I have two younger sisters who are starting to get into softball, and my brother played collegiate football, so we’re pretty good athletes.”

What are some of your most memorable moments playing softball?

“When I was playing for Triple Crown, we had this rival team that we played almost every week, and the games would always be so close, and they ended up winning. In the last tournament of the summer, we won. It was just an amazing experience. My biggest memory at NSU was last year’s second half of the season. We just kept winning games and couldn’t be stopped. It was such a fun environment to be part of.”

When’s a time you felt most proud of yourself?

“I would say, probably, getting here. I come from a small farm town in Colorado, and a lot of my friends just stayed there and went to the state schools. I’m proud to say that I’ve been here for four years and that I made a good impact here at the school.”

What’s your ideal career?

“I would like to work with energy companies and help them develop technologies that are less harmful on marine mammals.”

Do you plan to continue playing softball after college?

“I’ve thought about it. Maybe not playing, but I’d love to coach at some point in my life. I coached my sisters a couple of times, so I’d like to give it a try, maybe at the high school level.”

What do you miss the most about home?

“I miss my family the most. It’s hard being away from your loved ones and not getting a chance to see them every day. I missed my mom, my dad, my puppy and my sisters and seeing them growing up. I come home, and they’re 4 inches taller, and it just blows my mind. It’s hard to miss out on thing like that and getting to see their games.”

Do you have any rituals that you do before getting on the field?

“No, I’m not very superstitious. I’ll do things with the team. I think it’s fun to go along with them.”

What else do you enjoy doing besides playing softball?

“I enjoy reading a lot. I also paint, and I love being outdoors and camping. I enjoy water activities and pretty much anything you can do outside.”

Did you have a coach that influenced you?

“Yes, Dave King. He was the CEO and coach at Triple Crown. I had a hard time with my family in high school, and he really turned my life around and gave me a different perspective. He made me want to continue playing and to want the best for myself. He made me the person that I am today.”

How do you feel softball changed your life?

“I feel that it disciplined me and taught me time management because, as student-athletes, we still have to perform in the classroom as well as on the field. It made me a humble person who believes that hard work can get me anywhere. It made me a leader as well and taught me to respect others that I might not necessarily like.”

How do you balance between school and softball?

“Balancing is very difficult; sometimes, I’d rather be at the field than in the classroom. I’m also here to get an education, so I have to do that first. We don’t get much sleep, as athletes, but being a student athlete is worth it because you get the best of both worlds. If you love something enough, you can make it happen.”

How do you celebrate winning?

“I celebrate with my team in the field and jump up and down, and, as soon as we get back in the locker room, I call my family and let them know how it went. Then, I just go home and be happy. I don’t do anything too crazy.”

How do you deal with losing?

“I try not to take it too hard. I get upset for an hour or two and just let it go and work harder on what I need to work on. I like practice because it gives us time to do that.”

What do you feel motivates you the most?

“Definitely my teammates motivate me the most. We have really good coaching staff, but those girls are the ones with me on the field and in the battle, and, as long as I have them by my side, I’ll stick around and work as hard as I can.”

If you could travel anywhere in the world, where would you go?

“I would love to go to Greece and Australia. I want to see the Great Barrier Reef because I’m a marine biologist. And, I’ve always had a fascination with Greece. I’d love to go there and see the beautiful white and blue buildings.”

If a movie were to be made about your life, who would you like to play your role?

“I have to say Tina Fey.”

Follow the sports editor on Twitter @RNDranda1

Photo Credit: COURTESY OF J. FRAYSURE