Meet The Current staff

Welcome back to a new school year from the editors, designers and managers at The Current. We hope you’ll learn and laugh a lot because of our newspaper and become familiar with our names and faces throughout the year!

Nicole Cocuy, co-editor-in-chief

I’m a senior communication studies major with a minor in international law. I am an honors advocate for the Farquhar Honors College and am a member of the Alpha Chi, Lambda Pi Eta and Delta Epsilon Iota academic honor societies. As co-editor-in-chief, I work with our editors, designers, multimedia manager, advisors and writers to find ways to achieve The Current’s weekly and long-term goals. My fellow co-editor-chief and I also serve as the final set of eyes for each article that gets published in the paper.

What I like most about working at The Current:

My favorite part about working at The Current is the staff. While we are all so different and are a little wacky, we all get along so well and have a family-like environment.

Li Cohen, co-editor-in-chief

I am a junior communication studies major, minoring in international studies and wanderlust. I am a member of Razor’s Edge, Omicron Delta Kappa and Mako Rangers. As co-editor-in-chief of our wonderful paper, I write, edit and get to know you lovely people who make NSU what it is. I’m also a writer for Elite Daily, Immortal News and Taylor Magazine, so if you ever have a question about life, writing, Netflix or food, make sure to let me know.

My hidden talent:
Not many people know this, but I’m extremely skilled in the art of singing in the shower. I have performed numerous concerts, covered various songs and have mastered the art of performance. This past season, I won an award for “Best Performance,” “Greatest Recovery After a Fall” and “Best Lip Sync Battle.”

Jazmyn Brown, copy editor

I am a junior English major. My job with The Current entails editing and providing feedback for each article that goes into the newspaper. I’m in the honors college and the academic honor society Delta Epsilon Iota. I am also the public relations VP for NSU’s Residential Student Association, a committee member on NSU’s Relay for Life committee and a junior editor for the sports news website, The Sports Quotient.

With The Current, it’s amazing to be able to watch your own writing adapt. As a lover of the English language, it’s pretty cool to switch from one style and tone to another and back again.

Carli Lutz, chief of visual design

I’m a sophomore majoring in arts administration and minoring in graphic design.  I oversee the design of the whole paper and come up with ways to display the content of the paper in a visually appealing way.

My hidden talent:

Well, I am the queen of the font world. And yes, my friends do actually call me the font queen. I can typically identify fonts on almost everything, thanks to my library of typography books and years of being grossly obsessed with type. It was never just a phase, mom.

Roger Atangana, visual design assistant

I am a senior majoring in art with a concentration in graphic design. In the near future, I hope to become a visual designer for a marketing or publishing company. I am a member of the Nova International Student Association and Delta Epsilon Iota academic honor society. As visual design assistant, I help solve visual design problems, like layouts and image treatment, to name a few.

My hidden talent:

Though my forte is in anything related to visual design, one of my hidden talents is mountain biking.

Amanda Kaplan, multimedia manager

I am a senior communication studies major. I’m originally from New York. What being multimedia manager really means is that I get to update all of our social media accounts and The Current’s website. I help put a face to our stories with pictures and videos. This year will be my first year as a writing fellow, and I am also a part of the communication honor society, Lambda Pi Eta.

Where I see myself in 10 years:

In 10 years, I see myself hopefully working as an event planner or working for a wedding magazine. Even though it might seem cliché, I love weddings, romance and love. I also see myself having two dogs named Pluto and Stitch because I am still a kid at heart.

Alyssa DiMaria, news editor

I am from a very small town in Oakville, Connecticut and traveled to NSU three years ago to pursue my dream of becoming an elementary school teacher. I absolutely love being around children; their outlook on life truly inspires me. I also have a passion for writing, which allowed me to become the news editor of The Current. I am very grateful for this experience and can’t wait to see what the future holds.

I have the amazing opportunity to interview and meet faculty and students, while also editing and writing breaking news that occurs on and off campus. I love the feeling of seeing my work published. The feeling of accomplishment is incredible.

Faren Rajkumar, features editor

I’m a senior English major who loves to write and read just about anything because words are my drug. As features editor, I do my best to shine a spotlight on the stories of NSU students and professors and also highlight the aspects of our university and community that make them so unique. I’m also the editor-in-chief of NSU’s Digressions literary magazine and a writing fellow tutor, and I hope to someday write novels and poetry while living the dream in my beloved NYC.

My hidden talent:

I can list every character ever mentioned in the Harry Potter series in under 15 minutes. That’s about 200 characters, all with wonky names like “Wilkie Twycross” and “Mundungus Fletcher.” I think it’s something to be proud of.

Randa Djabri, sports editor

This is my second year working as sports editor for The Current and my first year studying optometry in the Health Professions Division. My job with The Current entails writing and editing for the sports section and working with students who choose to write for sports as well. As an undergrad, I majored in biology. I’ve been at NSU for five years, and by the time I graduate, a whole decade will have passed.

Where I see myself in ten years:

In ten years, I see myself as a practicing optometrist, most likely working in a clinic. My ultimate dream is to start my own practice.

Destinee Hughes, arts and entertainment editor

I’m majoring in communication studies and minoring in dance.  This is my last semester as a NSU shark―wipes tear. I’m the arts & entertainment editor, which entails covering pop culture news, restaurant reviews and art around NSU’s campus. Oh, I’m also a proud member of Beyonce’s Beyhive.

Where I see myself in 10 years:

I see myself as the editor-in-chief of a luxury South Florida publication, reminiscing about the days I cheered on the Miami Dolphins Football players as an MDC Cheerleader. I’ll also be enjoying my life as the wife of one lucky professional baseball player.