To have and to hold—I love you, NSU

I’ve had enough with the constant hatred and negativity aimed at NSU. The people I’ve met here, especially the professors, have made a tremendous impact on my life. Each person I’ve come across showed me a different piece of myself that I didn’t know existed. Their views on life, how they strive to become a better version of themselves, the intelligence they embrace and, most importantly, how they treat others—with the utmost respect and dignity—have all made me a better person.

I came to NSU three years ago as an intimidated freshman who was honored to be accepted into this university. The pictures in the college catalog became tangible; I saw the smiling faces of students all around, energetic professors, beaming sunshine and, of course, the gorgeous scenery. Being over 1,000 miles away from home, NSU offered me a sense of comfort. NSU was my first choice of colleges, and when people put our university down, I feel disrespected and, to be honest, very insulted. Many students act as if NSU isn’t good enough for them.

Not every single aspect of NSU has been perfect for me, but that doesn’t give me a reason to feel hatred for the university. My first year at NSU was the most difficult time of my life, but it was also the most rewarding. I was forced to find myself. To say the least, I was bullied by the one person I thought I could trust the most at this school, a person who I thought was my best friend. I had no other choice but to be strong and get through the situation.

Without the support of professors, advisors, friends, family and the overall encouraging atmosphere NSU provides, I am not so sure I would’ve made it through this challenging time. For all of those who chose to go out of their way to make sure I not only got better, but stronger—thank you. Instead of giving up hope, you encouraged me to keep my head held high and your support made me fall love with this university even more.

It frustrates me when I hear students talk negatively about this university, and I never understand their reasoning. The food options aren’t healthy enough? The gym isn’t open later? The tuition is too expensive? Or there aren’t enough activities/parties?

Not a single one of these ‘justifications for hatred’ matter in the grand scheme of things. NSU has done an excellent job with keeping up with students’ needs. There are various healthy food options for all, including vegan and vegetarian, such as the new and improved JuiceBlendz Café that now offers healthy breakfast options and wraps. The gym has altered its hours countless times to fit the needs of students, per their request. Concerning the tuition, all students know how much it costs to attend this university before they choose to enroll. Lastly, there are plenty of activities happening on campus all the time, and if that doesn’t please you, Miami, one of the biggest party cities in America, is only a half hour away. We live in South Florida, for crying out loud!

At the end of the day, none of these silly and pointless “complaints” matter. What is important is every single NSU student is getting a quality education from the most intelligent, passionate and caring professors. We have professors who care deeply about their students and want to see them succeed, who believe in the importance of providing quality education and are passionate about what they do. What more can a student ask for?

I am tired of constantly hearing “NSU sucks.” I am extremely proud to be a Shark, and you should be, too. If you aren’t, then please transfer. It is a privilege to attend this university; there are thousands of students who do not get accepted each year. If you are a Shark, stand up and defend our university. Life is the most important opportunity we have, but we have one shot at it. You only graduate from college once, unless you plan on getting multiple degrees. Don’t remember your experience at NSU as one filled with constant negativity from the ones around you.

Thank you, NSU, for everything you’ve done for me thus far; you’ve inspired me to think differently and be proud of the person I am. Most importantly, you have shown me the true meaning of life. The saying goes, “find what it is that makes you happy,” and NSU, to me, you’re it.

NSU is an extraordinary university; students need to start acting like it is.