Staff Picks: Starbucks or Dunkin Donuts?

It’s the polarizing question that almost every student must face for their early morning commutes and coffee cravings. It’s the question that destroys bonds and ruins friendships among coffee-lovers. “Do you prefer Starbucks or Dunkin Donuts?” Members of the Current Staff bravely defended their preferences and you can, too. Tweet at @TheCurrentNSU with a picture of your favorite drink and indicate if you’re #TeamStarbucks or #TeamDunkinDonuts.

Li Cohen, co-editor-in-chief, says STARBUCKS
Starbucks is definitely my go-to. While Dunkin Donuts is equally delicious, the environment is just not the same. There’s nothing I love more than curling up at Starbucks table with a good book and a hot chai tea or vanilla latte. The atmosphere is vibrant enough to make me excited to pay a visit, yet it’s calm enough for me to enjoy my books, write or just have a nice conversation with a friend.  Plus, there’s Starbuck’s infamous game of “How many different ways can you spell a name?”

Jazmyn Brown, copy editor, says STARBUCKS
I live at Starbucks. I have stock in Starbucks. Well, neither are true, but I visit Starbucks daily. The baristas are quick, usually friendly and, besides the fact that they never spell my name right, my drinks are deliciously perfect. If I’m in the mood for something hot, a hot caramel or toffee nut latte is my drink of choice. If I want something cold, I pick my poison and get an iced caramel frappe. I’ve also been tempted into buying mugs and tumblers from Starbucks, and my current favorite mug sports the café’s logo. It always smells good at Starbucks; from the moment I walk in craving a drink, to the moment I walk out holding my coffee in my hands, going to Starbucks like a trip to heaven—which I know has caffeine.

Alyssa DiMaria, news editor, says DUNKIN DONUTS
First off, you don’t have to sell a kidney in order to purchase a simple cup of coffee at Dunkin. Starbucks has become infamous for its wildly expensive drinks, and the taste doesn’t even redeem the price. Starbucks roasts their beans until they’re burnt, whereas Dunkin actually roasts them until they taste, you know, roasted. Also, Dunkin’s donuts are heavenly―the fluffy circles of perfection melt in your mouth. Starbucks’ pastries always seem stale. Fun fact: Dunkin has bakers in the store who make your treats right there, whereas Starbucks has theirs shipped in. If Dunkin were a person, its personality would be humble, whereas Starbucks would be conceited. What is the point of having fancy names for the simple small, medium and large? And if you pronounce the decorative names wrong, it seems like the barista gives an eye roll and then purposely writes your name wrong. Coffee lovers, save yourself from stuck-up Starbucks, and grab yourself an honest cup of joe from Dunkin.

Faren Rajkumar, opinions editor, says STARBUCKS
I usually prefer to make my tea and coffee at home, but when I’m in a rush, I always go to Starbucks rather than Dunkin’ Donuts. I get the same drink every time: an unsweetened iced green tea soy latte. It sounds like an elite and very snooty off-menu beverage, and maybe it is, but it’s the only thing I can’t make quickly at home and also would never find at Dunkin’ Donuts. I love the refreshing chill of the soymilk, the slightly smoky flavor of the matcha tea powder, and I pretend to not love the looks I get as I walk around with my bright green drink in its tall clear cup. I couldn’t have that effect if I went to Dunkin’ Donuts, of course.

Destinee A. Hughes, arts & entertainment editor, says STARBUCKS
This would be such a difficult decision if I was a coffee person. I like teas, they’re soothing, sweet and overall a healthier option. I get to add my daily doses of vitamins, and I enjoy my quiet time sipping silently. However, if I had to choose between the two, I would certainly go with Starbucks. Not because the coffee taste better, but because of its excellent marketing skills. Walking around with a Starbucks cup is much more chic than a Dunkin Donut cup. This doesn’t take away from the fact that Starbucks has an average menu and are highly overpriced, and Dunkin Donuts has cold donuts, which defeats the whole purpose of being a donut franchise, in my opinion. So with that being said, I’d prefer a nice detoxing tea with a hot Krispy Kreme donut on the side.

Roddia Paul, contributing writer of the week, says DUNKIN DONUTS
I’ll be honest; I used to be head-over-heels for a caramel frappe with extra whip cream and a side of red velvet cupcake from Starbucks.  No one but my wallet could convince me that I needed rehab. Ten dollars for coffee and a mini cupcake, I think not. My mom was the one who introduced me D.D., better known as Delightfully Delicious. She knew my love for caramel and turned me on to their caramel iced coffee, of course with extra whip cream. I was sold! The fact that I could get a breakfast combo for almost half the price of my coffee and snack at Starbucks made my stomach full and my wallet happy. You can find me in the line at Dunkin Donuts reciting my usual request for a caramel iced coffee with extra whip cream and two plain donuts, please.