Staff Picks: Facing film fears

Whether new releases are hitting the theaters, or TV networks are reliving decades of horror through classic movies, it’s difficult to avoid being petrified during this sinful season. However, while we’re bombarded with frightening movies, some awaken a level of fear in us that’s just too much to handle. And, sleeping with one eye open isn’t exactly a great way to enjoy the grim holiday. Here is a list of the scariest movies The Current staff has ever seen.

Nicole Cocuy, co-editor-in-chief, said “The Impossible” (2013)

Yes, “The Impossible” is not a scary movie featuring fictional monsters or creepy ghosts, but something about horrific, disastrous events that occur in real life gives me nightmares. This film, based on a true story, follows a family’s idyllic tropical vacation in Thailand as a devastating tsunami turns their trip to paradise into a terrifying trip from hell. It may not be labelled officially as a thriller or horror film, but “The Impossible” is filled with enough gore and suspense to make you rethink a trip to the pacific islands. After all, reality is scarier than fiction.

Jazmyn Brown, copy editor, said “Texas Chainsaw Massacre” (1974)

Hands down, out of the few horror flicks I’ve actually been able to sit through, the 1974 “Texas Chainsaw Massacre” movie has scarred me the most, with its carnage and cannibalism. I don’t know if it’s Leatherface’s grotesque face or the fact that he’s based on a real-life murderer, but I can’t hear the bloodcurdling sound of a chainsaw without my soul leaving my body a little. The film’s gory plot line traumatized me, and it’s one of many reasons I can’t stand the horror/thriller genre. I have not seen the 2003 version, for obvious reasons.

Carli Lutz, chief of visual design, said “The Midnight Meat Train” (2008)

It is the definitely the scariest movie I’ve seen. The movie follows a New York photographer, played by Bradley Cooper, who wants to catch a serial killer whose victims are subway commuters that travel late at night. This killer keeps his past victims hung up like meat in the back of the train. I can only imagine how bad it smells on the train. The movie is so gory that it will make even the biggest horror fans uncomfortable.

Amanda Kaplan, multimedia manager, said “Case 39” (2009)

One of the scariest movies I have ever seen, that I will never forget is “Case 39.” The main character, Emily Jenkins, played by Renee Zellweger, is a social worker and has dealt with hundreds of different cases. She thought she had seen everything until she met a 10-year-old girl named Lilith and her crazy and mean parents. The parents try to hurt their daughter and Emily decides she will take custody of Lilith while trying to find her a foster family. As the movie continues, Emily finds out that Lilith is not such an innocent child, and maybe her parents weren’t that crazy after all. I still remember exact scenes and quotes from it from only watching it once four years ago, and I don’t think I will ever forget them. If you want a scary, thriller movie with a plot twist, I would definitely watch this one.

Destinee A. Hughes, arts & entertainment editor, said “Leprechaun” (1993)

I am absolutely the worst person to watch a scary movie with. I act like I can handle the horror then once the movie is over I sleep with all the lights on, under the covers, attached to whoever I watched the movie with. While I fake my bravery, the one movie I refuse to watch is Leprechaun. This movie turned my innocent childhood into a time of terror. I was convinced he [Leprechaun] lived in the deep dark depths of my parent’s walk-in closet, and no one could tell me otherwise. I still have extremely vivid memories of the nightmares I had when I was younger about him. So, with that being said, one of the scariest movies I’ve ever seen, was and will always be Leprechaun.

Roddia Paul, opinions editor, said “Hide & Seek” (2005)
Looking back on this film as a sophomore in college I can’t believe how scared this film made me. I can still picture my nine-year-old-self clinching my brother’s arm as I fearfully watched this film. Between the anticipation of the truth behind Emily’s mother’s death and finding out who her imaginary friend was real, I think I still have nightmares of Charlie. I’ll admit I have had a love for horror films since I was a young girl and out of every horror film I’ve ever seen this is definitely on my top 5 scariest. The story line alone screams suspense from the opening scene and as the story unravels you can’t help but sit on the edge of your seat.

Erin Herbert, sports editor, said “Dead Silence” (2007)
There is honestly nothing creepier than ventriloquist dummies. Make an hour and half long film about said dummies, and I’m terrified. Dead Silence follows the murder spree of an evil spirit and her beloved collection of dolls, which have come to life to help their master.  I’m honestly not a fan of horror films and I’m still not sure how my friends convinced me to watch Dead Silence, but between the gore and creepy dolls, it is without a doubt the scariest movie I’ve ever seen.