Portraying Maria: Life on stage with Sarah Amengual

Sarah Amengual nabbed the iconic role of Maria in Broadway classic “West Side Story” in 2010; six years later, South Florida residents will have the opportunity to watch her reprise her role on the Miami stage.

Amengual, a South Florida native with a B.F.A. from the University of Miami, will play Maria in the Actor’s Playhouse in the Miracle Theatre until Feb. 21.

I had the opportunity to interview Amengual about her role in “West Side Story.”

How does it feel to come back to South Florida?

“So wonderful. You know, New York City was wonderful, but my husband and I are thrilled to be back and thrilled to have a house that’s not the size of a broom closet and for the warm weather.”

How did your passion for musical theater develop?

“It actually developed largely in part due to my grandmother. When I was about 5 or 6 years old, I was over at her house, and I was looking for something to do, and my mother was sitting there, and they were looking through the newspaper. The Township [Center of the Performing Arts] was having auditions for munchkins in ‘The Wizard of Oz,’ so they brought me over, and they threw me in the Lollipop Guild, and I’ve sort of been hooked ever since.”

You played Maria on Broadway as well. What does the role of Maria mean to you?

“I got to work with the writer of the book, Arthur Laurents, who was the director of the production and is also a Broadway legend. It was my first job out of college. To go straight from Broadway to go work with a Broadway legend to work on such a beautiful piece that truly transcends the theatrical and nontheatrical communities, a show that everyone knows. It’s such a powerful show that’s still powerfully and culturally relevant. The musical is as beautiful as ever. The dancing is as picturesque and gorgeous as ever. I couldn’t be more thrilled, and it’s wonderful to play a role that has so many different levels to it. She’s not just a sweet girl. She’s also a strong woman.”

Do you think you share anything in common with Maria?

“I met my husband when I was 15, so I definitely know what it’s like to fall in love hard and fast, so I can definitely relate to that. I’m also Puerto Rican, so I have that in common.”

What was it like to live in New York and be on the big stage?

“Wonderful and terrifying and so exciting. The first time I had a private rehearsal scheduled with Arthur, I got locked in my elevator of my building, so all I could think about was ‘I’m going to be late because I’m locked in an elevator somewhere.’ I was never actually nervous while I was on stage, but I was nervous that I would get out there and it would just overwhelm me. But, luckily, I had really wonderful cast mates and supportive scene partners who kept me right there with them. Even though it was such a huge house, we felt like it was just the two of us.”

How did you prepare for your current role?

“For this role, I wanted to go back and re-explore it because it’s very much a gift to be given the opportunity to do a role a second time. It’s a very common feeling among actors that the day you finish the show is the day you finally feel like you understand the character. It’s the day you finally feel like you understand all of the choices you have been making. So I was at that point, but now I can come back and come up with new choices and find ways to improve it and make it more exciting and more relevant to this production because it’s all new people.”

How does the dynamic of the new cast work?

“There are the nicest group of people you could possibly meet. Truly, everyone in this cast is so sweet and lovely, and they make everyone feel at ease and comfortable. They are just amazing people. I have nothing but glowing, wonderful things to say about them.”

What do you think overall is the message the show tries to portray to the audience?

“I would say overall the message is that we have to be willing to embrace one another and accept our differences and be willing to be friends with all races and religions and make sure we support one another as human beings on this planet.”

Why do think people should go to watch “West Side Story”?

“I think everyone’s gotta see ‘West Side Story.’ It’s an experience that transcends different communities, and I think it has wedged itself into being a part of the human experience. ‘West Side Story’ is so relevant, whether you love theater or not, whether you love ballet or not, whether you like singing or not. It’s a story that is relatable, it’s a story that everyone loves, and it’s a story that even people that may scoff at musical theater come away moved by.”