Man talk: Girls go to college to get more knowledge

Is the saying true that boys stuck in Jupiter, while girls are in college gaining more knowledge?

According to usnews.com, 30.3 percent of NSU’s undergraduate population is male, while the remaining 69.7 percent is female.

While some men may refuse to speak on the issue, three male students representing three different majors, Samir Nacer, freshman biology major, Justin Bailey, senior political science major, and Peter Clermont Jr., senior

What do you think the male-to-female ratio is at NSU?

Clermont: “I believe the male population would be around 37 percent and 63 percent for the female population. I chose this percentage for males because this school has a huge representation for the medical degree programs. Mostly woman enter into those types of nurturing medical fields.”

Bailey: “NSU has an extremely favorable female to male ratio, if you’re a dude. If I had to guess, I’d say it’s 4 to 1. To be honest, I have always seen about two to three women on campus per male.”

Nacer: “Thirty percent male, 70 percent female. Considering my severely limited math skills, it’s just a ballpark estimate. Walking around campus, I feel like I’m swimming in an ocean of females.

Why do you think there are more females than males enrolled at NSU?

Bailey: “Women tend to work harder than men. Laziness plagues far too many high school males, and as a result of said laziness, men matriculate at relatively lower rates than their female counterparts.”

Nacer: “If there are more females than males at colleges, it may be for many reasons such as more individuation, more self-development, more self-reliance, and the list goes on. But I think it is the same reason why males go to school, too. I personally want an education because I love to learn. I think women want to learn just as much, if not more, because, in the past, it wasn’t popular for them to go to college.”

Do you feel like the male population is underrepresented at NSU?

Clermont: “Yes, the male population is underrepresented. FAU has a large population of male students, and I think that’s because they offer many programs that men are more attracted to, like engineering.”

Bailey: “Not really. I prefer female company to male company, so that probably alters my perception of the situation.”

Nacer: “Yes, but, to be honest, I want to see more posters of both females and males making discoveries in research, breaking records on athletic teams, or even someone who did the right thing not expecting anything in return. Those things motivate me to be a better person.”

Do you think it’s easier for men to get a job without a college degree? Why or why not?

Clermont: “Yes, men are physical creatures so it’s easier for them to deal with tough jobs that require a certain amount of strength and not a degree.”

Bailey: “Jobs that do not require a college diploma are usually service-based jobs ― waiting tables and retail, [for example]. Having worked in the service sector for several years, I know for a fact that attractiveness weighs heavily in the hiring [process].”

Nacer: “No not at all. I think with the millennial generation beginning to become in charge of employment and companies, they are smart enough to know the importance of a formal education regardless of sex. If a degree is required for a position, then it is highly looked upon. If you don’t meet the standards, male or female, you don’t get the job. And it makes sense. Why would a boss want someone unqualified?”

If you were to guess the sex of your future boss, what would you say?

Clermont: “I have plans to enroll in law school and practice in the corporate field, so I’m assuming my employer will be a man.”

Bailey: “I plan to work for a law firm in the near future. Men disproportionately occupy partnership positions, so I assume my future boss will be a man.”

Would you like to see more males in college? If so what would you tell that young man who is on the fence about attending college?

Bailey: “Yes. A college education is invaluable, even if it doesn’t immediately earn employment. The university experience broadens perspective and forces critical thinking. Those two reasons alone should provide incentive for those sitting on the fence.”

Nacer: “I would want to see more individuals attend university who are desiring to better themselves through education if their true passion lies within that. I have no preference for any sex to attend any college. I strongly believe that if you are powerfully passionate about anything from being a fry cook, or owning your own small business one day and building it from the bottom up, follow your heart, and be the best at it. I have respect and honor for any individual in society who takes charge of their life and makes the best of it, all while giving back to their community to help push others. I would tell the young man on the fence to stop wasting time, get off the fence, and go figure himself out and what he wants to do with his life.”