That Time I… realized my potential

Written by: Annie Nguyen

Annie Nguyen is a senior art studio major. Her work is currently displayed in the Artcade exhibit and in the Eighth Annual Juried Student Exhibition. Even though she’s proven to be a successful and talented artist, she didn’t realize her passion and knack for art until her sophomore year at NSU, when she decided to live up to her creative potential.

At the age of 15, I moved to South Florida to attain the “American Dream.” So what is the American Dream? At the time, I thought it mostly meant being financially stable, but that understanding of the term lasted only until the time I realized my potential and learned otherwise. Starting my freshman year at the University School, I followed the path of the dual enrollment dental program, where I found myself taking AP science courses and even working as the teacher’s assistant in my microbiology class. Working in dental offices and shadowing D3s and D4s ever since high school, I thought I was set to be a successful, financially-stable dentist, and my friends and family would be proud. But two years before graduating college and going straight into dental school, it hit me. “Is this the “American Dream?”

Growing up, I remember drawing in the front and back covers of library books. I remember using my mom’s lipstick to draw murals in my parents’ closet, even after the age this action was acceptable. I remember drawing end-of-the-year caricatures of my classmates and distributing them throughout middle school. I remember winning Gold Key and National Visions awards throughout high school.

In the first two years of college in the dental program, I was still taking art courses; I was still drawing doodles of the patients in the dental office, and giving it to them after their appointments. One day it really hit me and I was questioning whether I wanted to be a dentist. I started to wonder “Is this who I am?”

At some point, I think we all ask ourselves this question and look to others to find the answers. But I answered my own question, changed my major to studio art, and took a job at the NSU Art Museum. It was a leap of faith; I didn’t know if I made the right decision, but I do know it’s a decision I made just for myself. What really reassured me on my decision was an experience I had this year.  Leading a docent tour at the museum for a group of 15 elementary students, I asked one of them “What do you want to be when you grow up?” He told me Batman, and, laughing, I asked him why. Unbelievably, he said, “Because no matter what, I want to help people and change their lives.” It was that moment I realized my potential.

Despite completely changing my major during my sophomore year from biology to studio art and balancing five to seven classes each semester for my junior and senior years, I’m proud to say that I’ll graduate on time with the class of 2016 with a bachelors in studio art and a minor in business with opportunities set for my future. With the help of my generous scholarships, the unconditional support of my family and friends, a whole lot of hard work, and just a leap of faith, the chance I got was the only chance I needed to realize my potential—through a 5-year-old boy who wanted to be Batman.

So, who do I want to be? I want to be someone who will help people and make a difference — inspiring people to inspire others. Who knows how, but successful businesses don’t know all their future steps before establishing their mission statements.

Life is not easy. A lot of times, life is not fair. But, just like my dad said, “You only have just one life to live.” And for me, discovering how you truly want to live that one life, regardless of money, status, or anything for that matter, and having the faith to take and follow through with that leap is the American Dream. As a soon-to-be NSU graduate, I challenge you all to search and realize your potential. Opportunity is always there. It’s your choice to take it with reason.