Staff picks: Most overrated movies

Some movies don’t deserve the hype they create. Here are the films that our staff thinks just aren’t worth a trip to the movie theater.

Jenna Kopec, features editor, said “Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them.”

“I love Harry Potter. I love J.K. Rowling. But I hate ‘Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them.’ I’m really against the idea of creating sequels and spin-offs just for fans, as opposed to being inspired to write great storylines. The Harry Potter universe is such a wide and immersive concept. It’s an entire universe. Yet the movie just felt like a compilation of cameos and shout outs from the original series, and it didn’t have to be. The ending was especially unnecessary. But why? Whyyyyy? Why not just create a new plot and add more to the universe?”

Brianna Walker, assistant news intern, said, “Avatar”

“The movie ‘Avatar’ took over 12 years to make, and it had amazing visuals. The cinematography is to die for. However, the storyline is just your basic cliché love story. Bad boy meets girl, boy turns into a decent human being, but they can’t be together because of their background… Does it sound familiar? It’s a futuristic Romeo and Juliet. The hype that this movie received was excessive to say the least.

Danielle Pucillo, multimedia manager, said, “Jurassic World.”

“I despise “Jurassic World.” As a devoted fan of the ‘Jurassic Park’ series, I was disappointed for many reasons. The generic script made me roll my eyes and the overuse of CGI made me nauseous. Chris Pratt and Bryce Dallas Howard give bland, uninspired performances. I will give props to the guy who grabs his two margaritas when the Dimorphodons attack the tourists. He really saved the film for me.”

Ben Underhill, arts and entertainment editor, said, “Suicide Squad.”

“Despite the cult of personality surrounding Harley Quinn and the sheer love of the movie from fans, the critics have it right: ‘Suicide Squad’ sucks. Yes, the movie is super action-packed, which is fun at points, but that’s all it has going for it. The dialogue is weak. While there is potential for really complex characters like Harley and Deadshot, the movie instead sacrifices great actors to the terribleness of the DC Cinematic Universe. I never thought I’d say it, but not even Will Smith can save this movie.”

Carli Lutz, chief of visual design, said, “Mean Girls.”

“If you ask a group of female millennials what their favorite movie is, chances are a large percentage will say ‘Mean Girls.’ That’s how you can tell how incredibly overrated it is. While I do enjoy some aspects of the movie, people are so obsessed with it that it pains me, and I don’t understand what all of the hype is about.”

Nicole Chavannes, copy editor, said, “The entire ‘Twilight’ franchise.”

“Although I was a fan of the ‘Twilight’ books at the time, I thought from the moment I saw the first film that the adaptations were terrible. And yet, I saw every single one of them in theaters. Now that I’m older and wiser, I see the faults in the franchise, both the books and films. But the films in particular were overrated to me because they lacked continuity and good acting.”

Trent Strafaci, sports intern, said, “The Hangover Part III.”

“As a fan of comedy movies, I thought that the movie ‘The Hangover Part III’ was very overrated. When my friends told me it was better than the first two, I had to go see it. When I saw it, I was very disappointed. The movie takes place two years after the events of ‘The Hangover II.’ While the first two movies were some of the funniest movies I have ever seen with a lot of comical one-liners, “The Hangover Part III” was a waste of time and effort. It was not funny and not creative like the first two.”