When you want to travel but only have two pennies to rub together

Throughout my primary and secondary school days, I diligently listened to the adults in my life, from my parents to guest speakers at school events, encourage me to secure a good education and to experience the world on my own terms. They explained that while anyone could learn about different cultures from the comfort of their home, I should strive to explore new lands and opportunities by traveling.

As a child, I couldn’t wait to grow up and finally be the one to decide which exotic country I would visit that month. Now, as a realistic college student, I’ve found myself with more Pinterest-boards and bookmarked ideas than my wallet can feasibly purchase. With Thanksgiving break steadily approaching, I began wondering if college students had to wave au revoir to their travel plans because of a smaller budget. Sources like Forbes, Wheretraveler.com and Real Simple magazine say that they don’t have to if these tips and options are considered.

Book flights early and at less convenient times

Iaircraft-jet-landing-cloud-46148f you have an idea of when you want to travel, try to book your flight as early in advance as possible as flights tend to get pricier as the departure date draws nearer. Save money by traveling on red-eye flights — the flights usually scheduled during the early morning hours — since airlines are more likely to drop prices in attempts to get seats filled. Conversely, you can also scoop up savings booking unsold seats at the eleventh hour or traveling during a country’s off-peak season for the same reason.

Use your free money and card pointspexels-photo-164571

When you make everyday purchases using credit cards from companies and banks such as Bank of America, you can usually earn cash back rewards. What might look like small change in the beginning, can really add up down the road. Add to that the money you receive from birthdays, graduation and holidays as a means to fund your trip.

Accept a job or internship that takes you overseas

startup-photos

Yes, you will have to work. But, if the company is willing to pay for your lodging and travel, this option may work in your favor. Presumably, you’d get to do a job you love during the day while exploring the country on your days off; a win-win situation. Visit websites like Gooverseas.com and Goabroad.com, or speak with your career development advisor to find internships that work for you.

Compare your dollar to theirs

pexels-photo-221174Luckily for us, the US dollar is pretty strong in value relative to the world’s economy. So, while you might have to shell out for the flight, you may be able to save when it comes to shopping for souvenirs, food, and lodging if the US currency conversion rate is substantial. Consider taking trips to places like Chile, Morocco or Cambodia where this is the case.

Explore unconventional boarding options
pexels-photo-271674
Perhaps you can couch-surf at a friend’s home. But if not, the advent of companies such as AirBnB and Hostelworld.com has changed the way you can room while on vacation. Cut down on the cost of a room by renting spaces instead of staying in a fancier hotel. If you’re fortunate enough to stay someplace with a kitchenette, save additional money by cooking some of your own meals.

Go on walking tours when you get therepexels-photo-233129

Purchasing group tours can be expensive and you’re likely to see more of the tourist attractions rather than the heart of the country. Walking tours are typically free and better allow you to take in the sights, sounds and smells of a particular place. Of course, with whatever you decide, always make an effort to stay safe while on vacation.

If you have a will to travel, then there will always be a way to do so. Save your pennies, search for deals and remember to keep an open mind because as it turns out, college students can have their cake and eat it too.