Staff Picks: Who do you look up to most and why?

January is national mentoring month. To celebrate, we asked the staff, “Who do you look up to most and why?”

Skylyr Vanderveer, multimedia manager, said:

“I look up to my mother the most. I know it sounds cheesy, but she truly is the greatest role model in my life. My mom always looks on the positive side of things, no matter how bad life gets. Through all the struggles we faced after Hurricane Sandy, my mother always kept on fighting for what was right. She continues to learn and grow as a person and is so passionate about everything she does. I wouldn’t be the same person if I didn’t have her to look up to.”

Diego Galvez, sports editor, said:

“The person I look up to most is my dad. I look up to him because I believe he has done things that I thought were impossible and he never stops surprising me with the ways he finds to solve a problem.”

Madelyn Rinka, news editor, said:

“I look up to Leonardo DiCaprio — I think the way he uses his fame and wealth to promote environmentally friendly initiatives and raise awareness for other causes is very honorable.”

Christina McLaughlin, opinions editor, said:

“I never specifically looked up to one individual. Almost everyone in my life is a mentor of mine in one way or another. My parents have taught me all the basics, my friends help me socially, my professors help me succeed professionally and other family members give me a confidence boost and advice when I need it.”

Sydney Stoneback, visual design and multimedia assistant, said:

“I look up to Jenny Simpson. She is an Olympic runner who grew up in my hometown. I really admire her because the times that I’ve met her, she took the time to talk to me and other runners not only about her life as a runner, but also how she balances her life as an athlete. She is very optimistic and refuses to give up, even when the odds are stacked against her. I strive to be like her when I face my own challenges in running, and in life.”

Simone Vera, business manager, said:

“I look up to Rihanna because of how inclusive her makeup line, Fenty Beauty, is for all persons. This brought attention and awareness to the beauty industry, and forced other brands to become more inclusive when creating products.”

Nicole Chavannes, copy editor, said:

“I look up to both of my parents in different ways. They have different ways of handling the tough situations in life, but each can be valuable in different situations. I’ve seen them get through many things together, and their values have always remained in sync even though their ways of approaching things usually doesn’t. I find I have things I admire and want to learn from each of them, and they support me in everything I do, so I really look up to them.”