Places to Gill Out: M&H Café

NSU is a unique and lively campus, but that doesn’t mean that Sharks can’t band together and take an afternoon to explore the South Florida area — even if that just means finding a quaint place to study.

A couple of summers ago, I discovered a hidden gem conveniently located across the street from NSU’s main campus, and only a quick drive from my house. M&H Café has been a common destination for me since, supplying me and my friends with refreshing smoothies after hot beach days, grueling study sessions and even spontaneous dinner dates. Growing up as a South Florida native with a taste for quality eats, I tend to appreciate places that offer great food at affordable prices, which this “Gill Out” spot just happens to be.

As soon as you walk into the café, you find yourself surrounded by brightly adorned walls — painted by NSU alumna Annie Nguyen — and artwork displaying the smoothie of the month. The interior invites visitors to relax in a laid-back setting while listening to a range of current and “throwback” jams. With its nearby location to campus, it surprises me when fellow students tell me they’ve never sipped one of their signature smoothies.

We are still at a point in the New Year where people are trying to fulfill healthy-eating resolutions; luckily, M&H Café offers healthy alternatives to the usual fast food options in the area. M&H Café has a variety of menu items, from paninis to wraps and salads, that are sure to satisfy any hungry customer.

Printed with permission from S. Berardi
Printed with permission from S. Berardi

The café is best known for its vast array of fruit smoothies and bubble teas. You have the option to choose from a range in smoothie flavors including avocado, blueberry, spice chai, red bean, taro and peanut butter. Or, you can try one of their signature flavors like the “Exotic Bliss,” made with passion fruit, banana and papayas.

If you’re feeling adventurous, you also have the option of adding popping bubbles to your drink. They come in several flavors, including lychee jelly, and can add that extra boost to any smoothie.

One of my favorite combinations is the grilled chicken caesar wrap paired with their signature Tropical Dream smoothie made with mango, papaya and pineapple. Whatever you’re in the mood for, you’re sure to find it on the menu.

M&H is the perfect place for a hungry college student because it’s budget-friendly. For example, every day from 4 to 6 p.m. the café has a happy hour where all smoothies are only $3.99. Also, if you show your server your NSU ID, you’ll receive 10 percent off your order. Finally, to receive even more discounts, you have the option to sign up for their reward points system, redeeming offers the more points you accumulate.

With all M&H has to offer, I’m surprised I haven’t applied for a job there yet. If you ever drop in to try out their smoothies or grub, look out for me. I’ll probably be sitting at one of the high booths drinking a Tropical Dream and rocking out to the day’s playlist.

M&H Café

2875 S. University Drive,

Davie, FL 33328

Hours: Monday – Saturday: 10 a.m. – 9 p.m.

Sunday: 10 a.m – 7 p.m.

Price range: $12 – $18