Staff Picks: In celebration of Valentine’s Day, we asked: “What’s your favorite love song and why?”

Michaela Greer, co-editor-in-chief, said:

“My favorite love song is probably ‘Girl from Ipanema’ by Astrud Gilberto, Stan Getz and João Gilberto. The singers croon the story — first in English and then in Portuguese — of a man who watches a girl that he likes walk by him each day, lacking the courage to approach her. I think it touches me deeply because it’s such a simple and relatable occurrence. After all, how often have we seen someone and missed our opportunity to reach out to them? Yet, this sorrowful reality is sung about so sweetly; a true classic.”

Diego Galvez, sports editor, said:

“My favorite song is called ‘Caraluna’ by Bacilos. It’s a hispanic song which came out when I was a kid and I used to sing it with my mom whenever it played on the radio. Every time  I hear it I remember those simpler times when it was just me, my mom and the song playing in my mom’s car.”

Christina McLaughlin, opinions editor, said:

One of my favorite love songs is ‘You Are My Sunshine’ by Johnny Cash. My dad used to sing it to me when I was little as a lullaby and the message of the song always stuck with me. It’s a song that’s been in my family for years and I hope I can sing it to my own kids one day.”

Skylyr Vanderveer, multimedia manager, said:

My favorite love song is ‘One’ by U2. It’s been my mom’s ringtone for my dad for years. Whenever I hear the song, I just think about my parents and it gives me such joy.”

Jenna Kopec, co-editor-in-chief, said:

“I don’t think I have a favorite love song, but one that I always thought was really beautiful was ‘Inside Your Heaven’ by Carrie Underwood. It’s not a song so much about infatuation, but about actually being there for the person that you love and becoming their so-called ‘person.’”

Nicole Chavannes, copy editor, said:

“Favorites are always hard for me, but I love Adele’s version of ‘Make You Feel My Love.’ Something about it is so simple and sweet, but melancholy at the same time. I can’t help but feel emotional each time I hear it.”

Sydney Stoneback, multimedia and visual design assistant, said:

My favorite love song is ‘You Belong With Me’ by Taylor Swift. I love all of the old Taylor songs, but this one never fails to brighten my mood, especially when I’m screaming the lyrics at the top of my lungs while driving with the windows down in my car.”

Madelyn Rinka, news editor, said:

“My favorite love song is ‘Dancing in the Moonlight’ by King Harvest. It’s not exactly about a romantic kind of love, but just like a ‘having a good time’ sort of love. I just love how upbeat and positive it is, it always puts everyone in such a mood.”