Staff Picks: Who is your favorite poet and why?

Michaela Greer, co-editor-in-chief, said:

Maya Angelou captured my heart ever since my mother gifted me ‘I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings’ when I was in the sixth grade. I love her because she was an amazing activist and a public figure who really spoke to the heart of important issues that plagued our society. I’m obsessed with her work because she was a fantastic storyteller, as evident with poems like ‘Still I Rise,’ ‘When Great Trees Fall,’ ‘In and Out of Time’ and ‘When I Think about Myself.””

Diego Galvez, sports editor, said:

“My favorite poet is the Chilean Pablo Neruda. He’s my favorite poet because his writing always contains a lot of passion and emotions. His writing technique was so varied that he wrote poems in a variety of styles. Another reason why he’s my one of my favorites poets is because he was one of the first Latinos to have international recognition when he won the Nobel Prize of Literature in 1971.”

Christina McLaughlin, opinions editor, said:

My favorite poet is Edgar Allan Poe. Most people know him just for his work like ‘The Raven’ and ‘The Tell-Tale Heart,’ but he wrote these incredible love poems. He went through a lot of tragedy in his life but he was able to articulate that in such a beautiful way through his poems. One of my favorite poems by him is ‘A Dream within a Dream.’”

Skylyr Vanderveer, multimedia manager, said:

“My favorite poet has to be Edgar Allan Poe. I analyzed his works in my English Literature class my junior year of high school. No matter how dark the poems are, they remind me of a very awesome class.”

Jenna Kopec, co-editor-in-chief, said:

“Charles Bukowski is my favorite poet. Cue cheers from edgy Tumblr kids and eye rolls from the rest of the world. He’s kind of the poet that you either love or hate. For me, there’s something about the simplicity and honesty in Bukowski’s work that creates the perfect mix of apathy and compassion.”

Nicole Chavannes, copy editor, said:

“I have a lot of select poems from several poets like Edgar Allan Poe, Maya Angelou, Shakespeare, Emily Dickinson, even Rupi Kaur, that I love. It depends on my mood; sometimes I want to read something I can sit down and decipher while other times I want to read something I can relate to immediately. I think my favorite right now is Walt Whitman. He has so much work to enjoy and every time I read a part of ‘Song of Myself’ I find new meaning. Plus, Whitman reminds me of one of my favorite films, ‘Dead Poets Society,’ which makes me love him more.”