Places to Gill Out: TCBY

NSU is a unique and lively campus, but that doesn’t mean that Sharks can’t band together and take an afternoon to explore the South Florida area — even if that just means finding a quaint place to study.

On days when I can’t make it to my favorite ice cream spot for bubblegum ice cream, I find myself driving over to TCBY’s Plantation location for a delicious heaping of soft-serve frozen yogurt. This place is no Jaxson’s Ice Cream Parlour & Restaurant, but in ways that help me understand why TCBY stands for “The Country’s Best Yogurt.”

From the outside, sandwiched between a pizza shop and pet grooming store, the yogurt chain store looks modest, unexciting even. Though, I’m happy to report that it’s quite the contrary. Walking in, you’ll likely to be greeted by a pleasant and knowledgeable attendant who will explain the set up to curious first-time visitors. Yogurt-lovers can choose to serve themselves from a row of soft-serve machines featuring rotating flavors like marshmallow, hot honey pecan, cake batter, strawberry and cookies and cream. Or, visitors can opt for a scoop or two of staple flavors like cotton candy, mint chocolate chunk, peanut butter delight, rainbow cream and mocha almond fudge.

TCBY even offers options for those who are lactose-intolerant or simply prefer dairy-free treats. These offerings come in the form of sorbets and yogurts made with milk substitutions like Silk almond milks. This way, customers can still enjoy tried-and-true classics like chocolate frozen yogurt, or take delight in watermelon, mango, kiwi strawberry, orange and ruby red grapefruit sorbets.

You can sample any flavors that you might be interested in trying and you can have almost all of the flavors turned into a banana split, cappuccino chiller, frappe chiller, milkshake, parfait, sorbet fizz or sundae. Then you can add from a variety of toppings like marshmallows, fresh fruit, boba, cheesecake, whipped cream, chocolate syrup, nuts, caramel sauce and candy pieces. Soft-serve ice creams are weighed for pricing while other goodies have a standard price.

Depending on the seasons, and sometimes even what movies are being shown, TCBY will offer special flavors. For example, during the summer when the “Angry Birds” film was in theaters, I remember falling in love with a coconut-flavored yogurt. Last fall, I was able to make my own s’mores combination using graham cracker, marshmallow and chocolate yogurts. No matter what you’re in the mood for, you’re sure to find your new favorite frozen yogurt flavor at TCBY.

TCBY

1447 S. University Dr.

Plantation, FL 33324

Every day from 12-10 p.m.

$6 – $10