Water your thoughts: Thanks for the break!

Thanksgiving is quickly approaching. I love Thanksgiving. I get to spend time with my family, eat delicious seasonal food and most importantly, I get to have a break from school, but I’ve recently discovered something that is giving me anxiety, to be honest. Did you know that NSU is one of the only universities in Florida that doesn’t give the Wednesday before Thanksgiving off? For what reason? Who came up with this marvelous plan? Fortunately for me, I don’t have to travel too far for the holiday— there’s not much distance between Broward and Palm Beach Counties. But what about all of the students who do need to fly out of state just to spend a couple of days with their family that they rarely get to see? Thanksgiving is the most traveled holiday, so I’m astonished that this fact wasn’t taken into consideration.

For Thanksgiving, my cousins from Hawaii are visiting and they will be staying at my house on-and-off for the duration of that week. I was disappointed to find out that the time I get to spend with them will be cut short because aside from going to school, I also have a job in retail. Therefore, when I’m not in class during Thanksgiving week, I will be working. If I’m not working, I will be in class. I know it shouldn’t be such a big deal, but one day definitely does make a difference. I hope I still get to have time to de-stress and focus on family rather than schoolwork.