Athlete of the Week: Curtis Thorn

Curtis Thorn is an international graduate student from England. He is currently doing his MBA here at NSU. He completed his undergraduate degree in sports science in England.

How and why did you get into soccer?

My dad. He played since a young age, and I’ve just followed in his footsteps. Ever since I was young, about 6 or 7, I’ve carried on playing, and it has taken me around numerous places which I am fortunate for.

What is your favorite thing about playing soccer?

The competition. I’m a competitive person. I am never satisfied with my performance or where I am so I think that gives me an edge over other people. [Also], just the thrill of it all.

Why did you come to Nova?

I’ve been playing in America now for two summers previous to coming [to NSU]. During those two summers I loved every minute. I had a coach come to me during one of the games in the summer and ask me what i was doing in terms of study and it kinda gave me an [opportunity] to do my master abroad while trying to experience new things: a new culture [and] a new lifestyle.

What are your goals for soccer in the future?

My main goal is to turn professional. Hopefully I will have the chance to do that. I just need to make sure that everyday I get advice from coaches. It’s about becoming better than what I am today, and hopefully I get that chance. [I’m] just trying to cement my place in a professional environment.

How would you describe the relationship with your teammates?

We are all more or less on the same wavelength. Our main goal this season was to get into the competition. We also thought that we were good enough to win the whole thing. We were so close both times we went against [Palm Beach Atlantic], and it shows how far we have come as a program and how close we are to becoming the number one team in the entire state

What is difficult about being a student athlete?

Balancing everything out, for sure. Being in a masters as well, it’s a little more intense. So it’s just making sure my work is up to scratch and obviously getting enough rest, recovery and everything else alongside soccer.

What is your favorite thing to do after a big game?

Eat junk food. I tend to go all out after a game. I’m quite strict with food and everything else before the game, but afterwards I let myself go. I just eat and watch films. Just Netflix and eat junk. It’s perfect.

Do you have any pre-game rituals?

I’m so superstitious. I wake up early and then get a nap in the afternoon. I zone out as soon as I wake up just so I’m prepared for the game. I listen to music, eat the right foods, chill out really and make sure the day isn’t too intense. I make sure I do all my studies beforehand so I can make sure I’m ready for the game.

What does your downtime look like?

When I get home I eat and then watch a film. All my friends are like “you watch a film everyday, really?” They think I’m unproductive but I know what I’m doing. It’s my downtime. I love to go to the beach, especially here. I’m an outdoors person and I’m always on the move.

Do you or have you ever considered playing another sport?

I have. I was representing my country in cross country. I was actually gonna quit soccer to participate in cross country running but I trained intensely for around a year and I [decided] I didn’t love it as much as soccer. Fortunately enough, I think I’ve made the right decision.

What is advice you would give to other student athletes?

In today’s society, it’s who you know, and [the coaches] have plenty of contacts to go forward [and help you in your career].