Skincare routines

Everyone’s skin has different textures, colors and potential problem areas. Here’s a few different skincare routines from writers with different skin types so you can see what works for people with similar skin to yours.

Gaby Holmes

Vitamin C Serum is good for any skin type as it helps neutralize molecules that hinder skin from repairing itself. It also tames wrinkles, acne spots, scarring and hyperpigmentation. An acne scarring gel like Murad Post Acne Spot Lightening Gel will help with scarring on your face.

Washing your face every day is key to healthy skin. As someone with dry to combination skin, LUSH Coalface or Herbalism face wash were great at cleansing my skin while not drying it out or making it oily. LUSH caters to all skin types, so finding one that fits your skin type is easy.

Moisturizing is an important step in skincare, especially in Florida. Finding one that won’t clog your skin is hard, but Kiehl’s or First Aid Beauty products are great choices.

Sunscreen is crucial, especially if you are using a Vitamin C Serum and are exposed to the sun often. To finish off, doing a face mask once or twice a week and making sure to remove your makeup every day will help keep your face clean and happy.

Ethan Lozano

Knowing your skin type is very important when choosing what products are right for you. When I was younger, I would use high-end products with expectations of improved skin, but I was getting products that were made to help people with dry skin. I have oily skin, so those products only caused more problems. Make sure you are buying products that cater to your skin’s needs.

My biggest skincare tip is to see a dermatologist. If you are having skin problems, a dermatologist can prescribe products that help. Freshman year of college, I had really bad acne, and after seeing my dermatologist, my months of cystic acne finally started clear up. Using non-alcoholic witch hazel also helped clear up my acne.

Try your best to always wear sunscreen. If you wear makeup, there are some products that already contain SPF protection. Personally, I am allergic to chemical sunscreen, so I have to use physical sunscreens. Chemical sunscreen’s active ingredients are chemicals like oxybenzone, octinoxate and avobenzone, while physical sunscreen’s active ingredients are titanium dioxide and zinc oxide. Chemical sunscreens alter UV rays into heat and release that heat from your skin while a physical sunscreen is basically a tiny umbrella, blocking the UV rays.

Samantha November

I have oily skin that does get dry at times. The most important skin care tip to follow is to moisturize your face and body regardless of your skin type. Oftentimes, oily skin, is a sign that your skin is dehydrated and overcompensating for its lack of moisture. I have found that using a light moisturizer after washing my face can help me combat oiliness.

If you have dry skin, you should use a light, everyday moisturizer in the morning and a heavier one at night before bed. My favorite moisturizer is Pharmacy’s Honey Drop Lightweight Moisturizer. At night I use eye cream, Dior’s Hydra Life Cooling Hydration Sorbet Eye Gel, and apply lip balm religiously. My favorite lip balm is Glossier’s Balm Dotcom in Mint.

Exfoliation is also a crucial step in skincare. I find that using scrubs are too harsh on my skin, so lately I’ve been using chemical exfoliants, such as Drunk Elephant’s C-Firma Day Serum or Framboos Glycolic Night Serum. Make sure to use sunscreen during the day if you decide to use chemical exfoliants as they make your skin more susceptible to sun damage.

As far as face wash goes, I use two types. Normally, I opt for Youth To The People’s Superfood Antioxidant Cleanser, but I use Korres’ Greek Yoghurt Foaming Cream Cleanser in the shower or whenever my skin needs some extra TLC.

Masking is my favorite part of skincare! For years I have used Boscia’s Black Charcoal Peel-Off Mask, but I recently discovered OLEHENRIKSEN’s Cold Plunge Pore Mask. I love it because of the cooling feeling it gives. I try to use these two times a week.