Who has time to get involved?

In high school, I was very involved in clubs. And I mean very involved. President of the chess club, co-president of the science honor society, vice president of the chemistry club, math honor society statistics competitor, editor-in-chief of the school yearbook and more. But now that I am in college, my involvement has dropped. Other than writing for The Current and going to class, I really do not have time to get involved in anything else.

Grades and extracurriculars are highly valued in college, but finding a good balance between the two can be very difficult. If you spend too much time on your academics, your resume may be lacking. But if you get too involved, your grades may suffer. So how do you find that perfect balance between academics and extracurriculars? I do not know! If I knew, I would have already joined a few clubs instead of just going to class and then work. However, it is important to get involved on campus for a variety of reasons.

While I still haven’t found the perfect balance between my academics and involvement in clubs and organizations, being involved in them is still very important. There are several benefits of getting involved. Including building up your resume and networking. As Maya Angelou once said, “when you do nothing you feel overwhelmed and powerless. But when you get involved you feel the sense of hope and accomplishment that comes from knowing you are working to make things better.”

Getting involved on campus is a great way to build your resume. Whether you are moving on to grad school or going out into the workforce, you will need a resume. Being involved with a club or organization will show potential employers or potential graduate programs that not only did you succeed academically, but it also shows that you are a well-rounded student.

Getting involved in something is a great way to, not only, up the ante on your resume, but being involved is a great networking opportunity. Clubs and organizations on campus are an amazing way to make connections in whatever field you are interested in. Pre-med? There are a lot of clubs for that. Pre-dental? There is a frat for that. Cannot find a club that fits with what you want to do for your career? Start one yourself.