NSU’s Fall 2019 Recruit a Shark

Sourced: O. Pidvalnyi

NSU’s Office of Career Development and the Office of Student Leadership and Civic Engagement will host the Fall 2019 Recruit a Shark on Sept. 19 from 2:30-6 p.m. in the Rick Case Arena. Attendees will have the opportunity to connect with employers and recruiters about volunteer positions, internships and job opportunities within their represented companies. “It’s different than regular career fairs because normal career fairs just have jobs and internships. Ours has jobs, internships, research positions, volunteer work and also study abroad. It’s like your one stop shop for experiential learning, to gain experience in your field, and for research. Really, there’s something there for every major,” said Emilio Lorenzo, associate director of employer relations. Additionally, freshman and senior students, as well as veterans, will be able to get early access to the event at 2-2:30 p.m., giving them a chance to connect and network with employers before anyone else. Lorenzo recommends students make a list of who they want to visit while at Recruit a Shark, because there are over 100 employers that will be in attendance. “Even before you walk into the event, we have career advisors on staff that will ask ‘what’s your major, what are you looking for?’ and then guide you to the right employers.” Rachel Sheppard, a junior psychology major who was hired by an employer from Recruit a Shark her sophomore year, advises students to utilize the resources NSU provides to prepare and to remember that the employers are there because they want to talk to you. “It was actually easier than I thought [it would be],” Sheppard said of her attendance to Recruit a Shark. “I was super nervous going into it, but it’s just like quick job interviews, it’s pretty convenient. I looked up who was going to be there beforehand because [NSU] had a list…, I wrote down who I was interested in, then I went and visited those places, gave them my [resume], talked to them a little bit, and I ended up getting a job.” Employers in several fields, including computer science, pre health and research, business, marine biology and environmental science, government and much more will be in attendance. Students can RSVP on Handshake, but it is not required for admittance to the event. For more information, visit www.nova. edu/career or log onto Handshake for a list of companies expected at Recruit a Shark.