Finding Fitness – Virtual races during the pandemic

For about three years now, I’ve been an avid runner. 

Every day at 6 a.m. I get up, change, plug in my earbuds and run the daily three miles almost robotically. It quickly became one of my favorite hobbies, and eventually, I started running races. Even though I might not have been and still am not the fastest runner, you could see me at every local 5k and 10k event as a participant to the end. However, none of these in-person races has occurred since early March. That’s why I’ve fallen in love with virtual racing. 

Virtual racing is essentially just like running your regular race with tons of other people, just not at the same place or time. This means no waking up at sunrise to find parking and rush to get to the starting line, no crowds and no worrying about bad weather at race time. All you have to do is virtually sign up to one of the many events and take your phone or smartwatch on a run to track the specified distance in the timeframe given in the race rules. 

Since the pandemic hit, the fate of races across the world became indefinitely uncertain. Virtual races have provided runners worldwide with an incredible outlet to fill that void and keep us engaged, motivated, and maybe, even a touch less worried about the state of our world these days. 

These races have connected and maintained runners globally, where novice and experienced runners alike have found inspiration and support for their effort — no matter how big or small. I even inspired a friend of mine to run a mile with me for a small charity event back in April. He had never run for fitness in his life, and that day, he decided to pick up a pair of trainers, lace up and join the global community of running. Since then, he has been running frequently, “feeling inspired by the online community to go farther.” At the end of the day, anything it takes to preserve our sanity and keep us moving in this time is a smart choice. 

Despite the convenience of these races, I still have to argue that virtual races will never replace the established community, static energy at the start of a race and the exhaustion and exhilaration at the finish line. The atmosphere filled with cowbells and cheering, fellow runners sharing sweaty smiles, the sunrise painting the sky as I near the finish line and my face covered with dirt as every ounce of my body screams for me to stop. Trust me, all of this is worth it for the medal at the end — it’s the cherry on top.

All of this, plus the bonds we create along the way with the community of runners and volunteers, makes racing so much fun. These things shape us into who we, as runners and as ordinary people, have become. 

Virtual races are an excellent placeholder. However, in-person races and all the sensations and sights that come with it, are unrivaled. So, during a time like this, where social gatherings might be detrimental to our health, I encourage you  to try a virtual race. Regardless of your fitness level, you will have similar individuals all across the world running that same race you chose to run and supporting you the entire way. Here are a few date-flexible races to participate in if you want to give it a try:

Happy running!