A cat is a man’s best friend

I know what you’re thinking: ”Don’t you mean a dog is a man’s best friend?” No, I don’t. It’s not that I have anything against dogs, but I think cats deserve a bit more recognition for the infinite amounts of joy and companionship they give to their owners, too. 

Oct. 29 is National Cat Day, and it’s time we acknowledge cats as more than pets for people who don’t have the time for a dog. As an extremely happy cat owner for over four years, I’ll be using my own experience to argue against a couple of common preconceptions of cats, which contribute to their lack of respect in the pet-owner realm. 

People say that cats don’t have enough emotional capacity to truly form a loving bond with their owners. It’s true that a dog is more likely to jump on you the second you come home and constantly crave your attention in the form of hugs, petting and playing games, but cats are way more emotionally intelligent and sensitive than most give them credit for. 

I’ll use myself to push this point. I’m a human, and no one would argue that I don’t have feelings or that I’m not capable of developing loving relationships. However, how often I show my emotions is a completely different story. I’m independent, I keep to myself most of the time and I only really consider myself close to a few people. Sound familiar?

Cats are the same. They may seem wholly indifferent to human affairs, but seeming is very different from being. When they’re around you enough, they know what you’re feeling. When I’m sad, I often sit on my bed in complete stillness. This is very different from my usual hustling and bustling manner everyone around me is used to. My cat, Ella, senses this change and knows how to make me feel just a little bit better within an instant. She cuddles up next to me and caresses her head against my shoulder. She licks my hand and curls up in my lap. She shows me more affection when I’m less motivated to show it to her, disproving the notion that cats are only self-concerned. If you show your cat love, they will recognize that, and you can be fully assured that they’re not just sticking around for the food.  

Another preconceived notion is that cats just “don’t do much.” I’ll be honest; they don’t without a bit of prodding. However, it’s just in their nature to keep to themselves and do the minimum in most circumstances. Don’t be fooled, though. Every cat I’ve ever met has jumped eagerly whenever I wave a string in front of their face. Ella is quite old, but she’s still always down to play and chase anything I taunt her with. 

In my experience, cats also love going outside to run amongst the tiny animals and scratch the bark of trees. They love being out in nature and even just watching them play around outside from a distance is a complete joy. 

Most cats wouldn’t run up to you and beg you to do something with them, but when you see how their eyes light up when you want to play, your heart will just burst. Like any respectable pet, they want to be pet. Cats usually only let a couple of people comfortably pet them — they form few tight bonds and value self-preservation — but it’s the absolute greatest feeling when you know you’re one of those people.

Lastly, there are ultra-friendly cats who act like they’re best friends with everyone they meet — I’m telling you, they exist. 

It’s unfair that cats get a bad reputation and are often overshadowed by dogs just because they’re instinctively independent and like to sleep a lot. If you’re looking for a pet, give a cat a chance. There are millions with different personalities, and I can guarantee that you’ll find one who loves you more than you ever expected, even if she only tells you in the smallest ways.