Fears in the new year

Like many students, I have completed my winter registration and noticed that many of the classes do not say BlendFlex or online when enrolling. It shows the typical information: day of the week, time, location and the midterm and final dates and times. 

No information has been released yet on what NSU plans to do for classes in the winter semester. There is still no information on if classes are in person or still BlendFlex or how many students are going to be allowed in a classroom at a time. All that we know is that there is no spring break and the school recommends that, if you went home for the winter break, you should stay online for 14 days, if possible upon the reopening of the campus. They also recommend not attending any large gatherings such as Thanksgiving, Christmas or other holiday parties and staying up to date with local COVID-19 guidelines. 

It is pretty nerve-wracking for me and my family not knowing how the winter semester is going to play out. Cases are on the rise again for COVID-19 as it was predicted by scientists and there are rumors about students who may have had it and plenty of students who are going out to places where there are large gatherings. I also have seen many students not wearing masks properly or at all while on campus and walking through the UC, which I find deeply concerning. 

Seeing how ‘over it’ people are now, I can only imagine it is going to get worse, again, before it can get better. Canceling spring break is not going to stop some people from spring breaking at Fort Lauderdale or Miami beach. There are vaccines that are now effective for protecting from COVID-19 for everyone, including seniors.

I worry that the school will be closed again by halfway through the winter semester, if NSU does not enforce policies more strictly. When the school closed last year, I was forced to go home and was only given 24 hours to pack as much as possible and get off campus. I was on a camping trip four hours away from school and I had to cut it a day short. Going home was devastating for me. I was ripped away from my friends and freedom. The last thing I want is to lose my only freedom: going to school every day and working on campus.