I think less of you if you barely wear a mask

Yes, feel free to re-read the title. It’s not a misprint. I think less of you as a human being if you barely wear your mask in public or around others. 

Just because the mask is borderline over your chin, covering just your nose or mouth, it doesn’t mean you are doing your part to protect others, yourself or even just prove to me that you have basic manners and can be a contributing member of modern society. 

I get it. Masks can be annoying. If you have glasses, they fog up. If you have breathing issues or are working out, it can feel restricting. If you have sensitive skin, it can aggravate it. I understand and I deal with each of those issues every day, as does everyone else, but I still am one of the strictest mask wearers you will meet and I expect everyone I interact with to do the same.

I’m not trying to get political here, but I believe public health shouldn’t be a partisan issue as it seems to have become through the implementation of mask mandates throughout this country. Really, a layered 6×5 in. piece of fabric destroys the “fabric” of our society and our values? I refuse to believe that. 

People are literally dying and if you believe that people don’t actually die from this and that it’s all a hoax, I don’t see the point in arguing with you. However, let’s at least come to the agreement that no one likes to get sick, no matter the level of illness and the havoc it wreaks on our body. When you don’t wear a mask properly or only wear it when it’s convenient to you, what you are telling me is that you don’t care about anyone but yourself. Actually, not even yourself because, don’t forget, the mask actually protects you as much as it protects others. 

So, why would anyone want to risk getting sick? At least, that is what it seems like. There must be this facet of our society that likes to be sick and to get all the non-benefits of sickness. Huh, who would have thought?

I think the worst offenders I’ve seen are those who sit inside or outside in public places that feel that a few feet away from others is enough to just take the mask off. This also includes our very own campus. You thought I was just talking to the Karens and Kens of the world? Nope. NSU students are just as guilty of this — even though we all had to take a mandatory course saying we will stay in compliance with NSU’s new regulations. It’s ridiculous when this happens literally a foot away or less from a sign that says to keep masks on at all times. You can’t avoid the emails or look down a hallway or a footpath without seeing all those blue mask signs. You’d have to be purposefully blocking out each constant daily reminder to “forget” to wear your mask.  

I understand if you are actively eating or drinking that you can’t do that with a mask on, but don’t try and pretend that you are eating a snack or drinking your coffee for the entire five hours you study in the UC. You’re just inconsiderate  and I lose all respect for you. That tells me that you cut corners in every aspect of your life. That you don’t commit or stick by your convictions. The school is supposed to be cracking down on these mask violators, and even though I haven’t heard a case of that yet nor do I expect students to “tattle-tale” on each other to the administration, it just proves that just because something is expected of you, it doesn’t mean that everyone will have the decency to do the right thing.