Finding Fitness: Working out with the help of Tik-Tok

It is finally 2021 and time to follow through with our New Year’s resolution. I, for one, stated that my resolution this year would be to start working out consistently. Who else is with me?

Whether we have the same New Year’s resolution or not, I’m sure we can all agree on one thing: gaining the courage to workout is hard, then comes the actual working out part.

I’ve picked up the habit of spending all my free time on Tik-Tok. Hours can go by and I won’t even notice because of how engaged I am in these short, but entertaining, videos. 

There come various points while I’m in the hour-long loop of TikToks that I become determined to learn the newest dance trend, then I quickly remember I’m not half as good a dancer as Charli D’Amelio, a popular user of the app.

This week, I challenged myself to a new workout. I wanted to try something that would keep me engaged and have an upbeat feel to it. 

I searched YouTube for, you guessed it, “The best TikTok workout.”

At the top of the list, was a 15-minute full-body workout video, titled “15 min Tik Tok Dance Party Workout.” Since we’re still in the middle of a pandemic and I canceled my gym membership several months ago, I mostly gear towards no equipment necessary workouts — which also pulled me into this video even more.

This workout quickly began with the tune “Roxanne” by The Police, which immediately got me going. It reminded me of the middle of quarantine when I used to have this song stuck in my head all the time. I am not a great dancer whatsoever, but this workout allowed me to have fun and not pay attention to the “working out” side of things. 

Throughout the 15 minutes of this workout, I engaged in several laughs and a lot of sweat. 15 minutes may sound short, but it definitely feels slightly longer when you’re working out.

There were several songs that I sang my heart out to and times where I even kept myself moving with my own moves.

At the end of the workout, I felt more than accomplished and told myself I would try this workout again. As someone who works out often, I believe that engaging in an enjoyable routine will make it that much better.

As Jim Rohn said, “Take care of your body. It’s the only place you have to live.”

If you’re interested in trying this cool workout, check out this link: 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SoRmqE7A_IE