Recycled crafts, according to Tik Tok

Tik Tok is an app containing all sorts of creative content. I come across DIY content all the time and I recently discovered a page called “5 minute recycle.” They had a really interesting video on how to make a recycled bowl. What’s better than making a craft that helps the planet? 

I faced some challenges when it came to this crafting TikTok. For starters, there were no instructions. The video was clear of what was needed for the craft, but they never specified the measurements required to make the craft correctly. I thought this craft would be easy considering all I needed was four empty toilet paper rolls and some water in a blender, but I was wrong.

Crafts are not really my thing to begin with. Therefore, instructions are highly required for me. I eyeballed the amount of water needed and tried to make it look like the same amount used in the video. Let’s just say that was my first mistake. The video did not specify how long I was supposed to blend the toilet paper rolls in the water, so I just blended it until I thought it was a good consistency.

When I removed the lid from the blender, I noticed that I had put in too much water. The blended toilet paper rolls were supposed to be damp in order to be able to form a structure, but mine were very soggy. I tried to strain the excess water, but the toilet paper rolls were still saturated. 

At this point, I didn’t know whether to call this a flop or see it out to the end, but I decided to go through with the craft, hoping for a positive result. I poured the base into a container and put a small measuring bowl in the middle to create a bowl like structure. The craft sat for nine hours and was still soaking wet. The video did not mention how long it took for the toilet paper rolls to harden into the bowl structure, but I am sure it should not take more than nine hours.

This craft ended up being a flop, but only because there were no instructions. For those interested in arts and crafts on TikTok, I recommend finding a page that includes both video and detailed instructions. The instructions serve the same amount of importance as the visuals, especially if you are trying to have a successful result. After watching a video where the craft came out perfect, it is hard to interpret the instructions when there are none.