That Time I… Visited the One World Observatory in New York

Sept. 11, 2001 is the first tragedy my generation became familiar with, a horrific point in time when the whole world came together in grief, and most importantly, the day our lives changed forever.

I was born two months after the attack of the Twin Towers and grew up reminded of my parents’ exact movements during that sorrow-filled day. I’m sure all of us have heard a story or two from our family members or even friends about someone who is a 9/11 survivor.

Although time has passed, there will always be a way to honor those lives lost during that heart-wrenching event in history; this leads me to that time I visited the One World Observatory.

About four years ago, I was visiting New York for the summer. Who doesn’t love the flashing lights and fast-paced living the city has to offer? My stepmom has quite the eye for all things to do in New York, so I followed her lead and took photos along the way.

As I approached what looked like a big crowd of people, I quickly realized where I was: the World Trade Center. As I walked through the crowd, I couldn’t help but acknowledge the somber feeling in the atmosphere. I continued walking until I saw the engraved names of individuals who lost their lives on a massive piece of bronze.

Closing my eyes, I stopped to take a deep breath and gather my thoughts and feelings. Standing there almost felt like a dream. I quickly opened my eyes and reached for my phone to capture this breathtaking moment. Being surrounded by families in tears, hugging their loved ones, strangers embracing each other in handshakes and kind words instantly led me to realize we all went through this together.

Standing there, I knew I wanted to see inside of the World Trade Center to get the most out of my experience. Later, my family and I made sure to buy our tickets before they sold out again.

Walking inside the museum almost felt as if I were walking through security at an airport. There were metal detectors in place, and security guards made sure to check everyone’s bags before heading to the One World Observatory.

While getting guided to the elevator, we were informed it takes 47 seconds to get to the 102nd floor. Yes, you read that correctly. Throughout the 47-second elevator ride, speakers and visuals were showing what New York City looked like years ago compared to what it looks like today.

After all the ear-popping and butterflies in my stomach, I finally made it to the 102nd floor. Since it was the evening, it seemed darker than it should’ve been. Another voice began to talk about the history of the World Trade Center, and right before our eyes, there was a curtain lifted around the circumference of the entire floor I was standing on. There it was, the sight of NYC from the 102nd floor; breathtaking.

Since it was the evening, it was a bit easier to see lights. I was given an iPad to navigate where I was standing and what I was looking at directly below and in front of me.

After finishing up with our self-driven tour of this circular floor, we made our way back down. It almost seems unbelievable, to say the least. I took my last couple of photos and left through the exit.

Several little things made up the experience as a whole. I can continue writing about this experience forever, but I would highly encourage anyone who has the opportunity to visit this incredible building for themselves — post-COVID-19, of course.