Reading off the clock

After a long day of classes, often the last thing you want to do in the evening is read more. However, it is important to read for leisure, not only for your enjoyment, but for mental stimulation and to give your brain a rest from the loads of technology we use in day-to-day life. The last thing you should do is read about more schoolwork. Instead, try and find something that gives you joy and piques your interest. Here are some book suggestions for college minds who just need to debrief after a long day.

“Educated” by Tara Westover

While technically my first read-through of this book was for a class, this novel is my newest top recommendation for everyone. The book is a memoir that follows Westover’s childhood growing up in a survivalist family in the mountains of Idaho. This book will have you sitting on the edge of your seat, saying “No way this actually happened.” The sheer amount of time that I have spent thinking about this novel and even comparing it to my own family, which is inevitable for most readers, is phenomenal. The less you know going in, the better.

Poetry 

My next recommendation would be to read poetry. Whether it be in book form, through a journal or just online, you can find good poetry everywhere. Poems are artful expressions of stories that can provide deep insight without hurting your brain after a long day. My personal favorite collection is “Where the Sidewalk Ends” by Shel Silverstein, despite the childish themes. These poems are great for all ages and can provide a great outlet to destress in troubling times. I would also recommend checking out “Perspective (and other poems)” by Flor Ana Mireles, an alumna of NSU and The Current’s team. 

“The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time” by Mark Haddon

This is another novel that I would highly recommend, and as a mystery fanatic, this book sure does scratch that itch. This 2003 novel follows the first-person perspective of a 15-year-old English boy with behavioral difficulties. The novel does a great job at making the book not about disabilities, but instead keeps focus on the mystery with a main character who just so happens to be neurodivergent. This is still a great example of the neurodivergent community in media despite being published over a decade ago. It also has plenty of subtle and entertaining quirks throughout the book to keep readers on their toes. Even if you are not a huge mystery sleuth, the characters’ personalities are sure to keep you engaged. 

Books that fit your hobbies 

My final suggestion is to find a book that fits your hobbies. As a busy student, hobbies are often put aside in order to make room for academics. Reading a book about your favorite hobby before bed is a great way to keep up with things that interest you without taking too much time out of your day. These books can range from a variety of topics. Recently, I have been reading books on U.S history as I miss the subject from high school. I even found a copy of Henry David Thoreau’s “Walden and Civil Disobedience,” which is a hefty book to get through, but interesting in my eyes nonetheless.