That Time I… presented at a national conference

As an NSU Shark, I have had countless opportunities that have made my experience at NSU one to remember. Although the pandemic has put a damper on some of those opportunities over the last year and a half, getting to present my research at the Pi Sigma Alpha National Conference, though it was virtual, stands out as a highlight of my time as an undergraduate student. 

Last winter semester, I begrudgingly signed up for a research methods class that is required for all political science majors. Its reputation as one of the most difficult classes in the department precedes it and I nervously thought, “what am I getting myself into” as I bought books filled with coding language and statistical analysis jargon. While I was apprehensive of the class at first, after a few weeks and many, many long nights of trying to wrap my head around how to code, I began to get the hang of it and eagerly began to formulate ideas for my own research. 

The paper I ended up writing was entitled “Women in States Legislatures: The Effect of Female Representation on State Abortion Restrictions” which explored the ways that women in legislature at the state level impact the passage of abortion policy. Women’s issues, and especially the topic of abortion, has always been something I am passionate about, and I loved being able to apply that passion to a project that I could share with others. 

When my paper was finally finished and polished, at the recommendation of my professor, I submitted my abstract to the Pi Sigma Alpha National Conference. Shortly after, it was accepted. While the conference is normally held in Washington D.C. and students from across the country travel to present their work, last year’s conference was held virtually due to the pandemic. And while I would have much rather spent a weekend presenting, networking and exploring D.C., It was still an amazing experience.  

I got to present my work to people who shared a passion for government and politics and learn about their research as well. The presentations were divided into sessions, each with its own common element. Sitting in a room (virtually, of course) with a group of individuals who were as passionate about women, minorities, and underrepresented groups in politics was inspiring. 

At the conclusion of the conference, I exchanged information with other students, faculty and researchers from across the country and later connected with them via LinkedIn. While I may have not had the opportunity to meet them in person, I know I have great resources to reach out to if I ever need advice about applying to grad school or a second pair of eyes on a research paper.  

While I had never considered pursuing research before this experience, it sparked a passion that I hope to continue in the future. It allowed me to expand on the incredible opportunities I have had at NSU and was truly been one of the highlights of my undergraduate experience.