Water your thoughts: People are missing the point of “Squid Games”

Netflix’s new series “Squid Games” has taken the world by storm. It has become wildly popular in the U.S. and other western countries. It’s a really interesting show with amazing actors and an intriguing plotline. However, this morning I woke up and walked outside my dorm room only to be greeted by cryptic little cards inviting me to scan a QR code, leading me to an invitation to a “Squid Games” themed party. I think that the degree people are taking their enjoyment of this show is misguided when keeping in mind the true intention of the show. 

If you haven’t seen the show, the main premise is that people who are in debt or in poverty sign up to compete in children’s games to win money. According to the show’s creator, “Squid Games” is a criticism on capitalism and the way that it’s marketed as an easy and fun thing to participate in, but the ruthless reality is that the competition that is promoted by capitalism can easily become unhealthy and even dangerous. 

It’s funny to me that now people in western capitalist countries are hosting “Squid Games” themed parties and games. People are dressing up as the characters for Halloween. While it’s an excellent show, I feel like people forgetting the true underlying meaning of the show is doing it a disservice. Glorifying poor people murdering each other for a chance to win money seems dark, and even darker so to be used for entertainment in the very places that the show criticizes.  

Don’t get me wrong, I absolutely agree that the show is phenomenal and that it should be talked about. I just think that people hosting “Squid Games” themed parties and events might want to reconsider instead of turning the show into a spectacle or marketing theme.