Shark speak: What are your expectations for winter in Florida?

“This is my first winter in Florida, but I enjoy winter because it’s cooler rather than hot. Sometimes there is ice skating outdoors, like fake ice. That’s what I did last year,” said Reeba George, sophomore neuroscience major. 

“I’m from central Florida, and I’ve been in Florida for 22 years. I like that we don’t have snow because I never have to stop scuba diving. Honestly, I love going out and sitting outside in the winter here, because it’s the only time you can go out and sit in the sun and not die,” said Sam Snell, senior marine biology major. 

“I’ve lived in Davie for about a year and a half, but I’m originally from New Jersey. Winter here and there is completely different. I feel like there’s pros and cons to winter depending on where you live. The good thing about winter here is that you get sunshine, but you could also go out in a hoodie or sweatshirt at the same time. You get the best of both worlds here. In Jersey, it’s like forty degrees and it’s cloudy, so you just stay inside and watch a movie. It’s just different vibes,” said Luca Parlado, sophomore marketing major. 

“I grew up in Florida, and winter here is sort of like a blessing and a curse. While we’re blessed to have sunshine year=-round, I’ve never actually seen snow because I was born and raised here. I do wish I could go somewhere up north at some point and actually build a snowman and do all this stuff that I’ve seen in movies and TV shows when I was a kid but never got the opportunity to do,” said Jomar Cole, sophomore computer science major.